• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside IR35 expenses

Can anyone confirm what expenses can be claimed when you are inside. I thought it was only a flat 5% but according to the below link, you can also claim other expenses ontop of the 5%.

The paragraph reads as:

'In addition to the 5% for administration costs, a contractor can also claim direct costs such as travel, computer costs, subsistence, direct training, sub contractors, etc. '

http://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/index.html

IR35 has no impact on whether or not you can claim expenses, only in the way that you receive payment i.e. inside = PAYE
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

You can't claim accountancy fees.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

yep, expenses can be claimed in addition to the 5%. See here.
        Last edited by krytonsheep; 3 July 2009, 12:33.

Comment

The 5% is to pay the expenses for running the company itself. It probably won't cost as much as 5%, in which case anything left can be taken as profits.

Out of the remaining 95%, you can then claim for any personal expenses that would be allowable if you had been an employee (generally travel and subsistence).

Training is a bit of an odd one, because mostly employers pay for this, but HMRC can be a bit fussy about this Ltd's.

Comment

Inside IR35

chrisl

I think you are asking what can you deduct against the income in determining the deemed payment under IR35, thats actually a slightly different question.

This HMRc page gives you a good explanation of how to calculate a Deemed Payment. yes the 5% that you refer to and the great explanation on the Contractor Calculator link are correct.

This is different to what you company can put through its books for expenses. For instance in calculating your corporation tax , Accountancy Expenses are deductible, but they also form part of the 5% allowance in calculating the Deemed Payment.

I hope that helps a bit.

Phil

Comment

Working...
            X