• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you have free time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have free time

read this

Its pretty good

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...848835,00.html
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

This whole article was brought on because he is embarrassed by being caught out by the bloke at the Chelsea - Spurs match.

Comment

Isnt this whole piece a racist slur on the English?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I started reading this on Sunday. Then I realised that it was by AA Gill and I don't usually read anything by someone with initials, on the basis it's bound to be a load of pretentious boll0cks. On this occasion I was again correct.
        How embarrassing a name does one have to possess before one has to resort to naming oneself after a motoring organisation? Alan Arsewipe? That'd pretty much do it.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

no I think it's quite accurate. Quite complimentary anyway don't you think? He's right about the humour thing
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I started reading this on Sunday, but stopped because I felt that an article by one guy describing a whole nation is more likely to tell you something about him than them, and I'm not interested in him.

Comment

Interesting his comments about not being able to dance because of anger, I would say if you are not dancing, well then you are not really alive at all.

And as for this snippet ...

Anger has made the English an ugly race. But then this anger is also the source of England’s most admirable achievement — their heroic self-control. It’s the daily struggle of not giving in to their natural inclination to run amok with a cricket bat, to spit and bite in a crowded tearoom, that I admire most in the English. It’s not what they are, but their ability to suppress what they are, that’s great about the English.

Well Mr Floyd knew all about that ...

Hanging on in quiet desperation
              Is the English Way

Time is Up
              Song is Over
              Thought Id something more to say ...

Comment

Aha , know I know that the author was in fact Mr Floyd , or should I say Mr S Barrat ?

At the core of that anger is the knowledge that they could go absolutely berserk with an axe if they didn’t bind themselves with all sorts of restraints, of manners, embarrassment and awkwardness and garden sheds.

War calls for people to go mad with axes. It’s a particularly risky business for the English as, once they start, they might never finish. It could go on until they’ve chopped up everything, destroyed themselves and the world

Careful with that Axe Tony ...

PS the author cliams to be Scots by virtue of being born in Edinburgh and spent all of a year there.

Well I spent twenty years of my upbringing in Scotland followed by seven years in London and I can tell you there is far more rage and anger in Scotland than England , just take a walk through Glasgow on a Saturday night if you are in any doubt.

Especially Scots women who can be very aggressive and rude.

Not so with the folks in the Highlands, but then again they do like to dance.

Get my drift ?
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 November 2005, 12:41.

Comment

Working...
                X