• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weather forecasts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather forecasts

The Met Office forecast for 8pm in Swindon yesterday showed heavy rain and cool temperatures. This was at 7.00pm.

So it was a one hour forecast.

It did not rain or cool, infact I sat out all evening drinking. Lovely and warm and dry. The temperature was about 5 deg C above the 1hr forecast all evening.

However, the Met Office is certain that in 500 years time the UK will be 0.0000001 deg c warmer.

Funny how they know this and the world bases it's policies on this, but it can't get it remotely right 1 hr into the future.

I'd but for the raft of carbon taxes this has spawned.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/

Best site on the web for weather, lost count of how many times it's got it bang on.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      The Met Office forecast for 8pm in Swindon yesterday showed heavy rain and cool temperatures. This was at 7.00pm.

So it was a one hour forecast.

It did not rain or cool, infact I sat out all evening drinking. Lovely and warm and dry. The temperature was about 5 deg C above the 1hr forecast all evening.

However, the Met Office is certain that in 500 years time the UK will be 0.0000001 deg c warmer.

Funny how they know this and the world bases it's policies on this, but it can't get it remotely right 1 hr into the future.

I'd but for the raft of carbon taxes this has spawned.

Take house prices - you know that in a hundred years even your crappy council house will be worth some gob smacking number like £1,000,000.
      But you don't know what'll it'll be worth next week.

What part of that argument don't you get?

Doh!
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

You might be confusing "weather" and "climate" there.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          It wouldn't be the first time...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            You might be missing the entire point of the (admitedly provocative) argument!

If "they" can't be beleived when we can check - WTF should we believe "them" when there is no way of checking?

Its not 'kin rocket science.....

Comment

I did get confused by the headline today:

Climate change is shrinking sheep

I've heard of "red herring" and "white elephant" and even "shrinking violet" as metaphors, but I wasn't sure what a "shrinking sheep" was supposed to signify. But apparently it just means shrinking sheep.

Comment

Being a cricketer I religiously check the weekend weather throughout the week. I don't know why, because it's never accurate. I go on BBC, the Met Office and the Weather Channel and they generally show completely different results and normally change dramatically from day to day.

Conveniently wxman's weather site focuses on Mountsorrel, which is where I live, so I've been using that recently.
                Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                  You might be missing the entire point of the (admitedly provocative) argument!

If "they" can't be beleived when we can check - WTF should we believe "them" when there is no way of checking?

Its not 'kin rocket science.....
                  This is the point. We can verify the weather and their forecasts are tulipe.

And yet we are supposed to accept without question as gospel, unverified, untestable forecasts on climate by the same morons using the same "models".

Comment

This is the point. We can verify the weather and their forecasts are tulipe.

And yet we are supposed to accept without question as gospel, unverified, untestable forecasts on climate by the same morons using the same "models".

You're being a tad provincial. The UK weather system is notoriously difficult to predict because we're at the junction of several weather systems (Can't remember exact number).

Many countries in the world it's very easy to predict weather accurately, though how this relates to observing long term trends on climate change I'm not really sure.
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X