• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Someone talking sense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone talking sense

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8134963.stm

Can you imagine Brown having such a sensible reasoned discussion?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8134963.stm

Can you imagine Brown having such a sensible reasoned discussion?
    It is possible that history has been "revised" in the interim without me looking but wasn't he a bit of a national embarrassment when Prime Minister?

Comment

In all my years, the Tories in the main have been a party for telling the truth. Labour since 1997 have demolished my faith in government by their constant lies and spin.

We are losing 1 Billion pounds every two days, and one respected political commentator I was reading at the weekend reckons we may have to raise taxes by 30 per cent or make spending cuts of that magnitude. We really are in a very serious situation but Labour is in denial saying carry on spending , just as James Callaghan was in 1979. 'Crisis, what crisis ?' were his famous words......

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        It is possible that history has been "revised" in the interim without me looking but wasn't he a bit of a national embarrassment when Prime Minister?

... and isn't Brown the best chancellor in history ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          I dont think he was. His problem was the rest of his government bringing home scandal after scandal after scandal.
          He was just dull, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
          To his credit (though it is never given) he started the NI peace process amongst other things.
          His Government handed over the best economy any Government has ever received.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I think he is right.

I need to move my sterling soon
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

lets face it - my kids could have steered the economy through the boom years - all you had to do was sit back and watch the coins come flooding in.......

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                I dont think he was. His problem was the rest of his government bringing home scandal after scandal after scandal.
                To his credit (though it is never given) he started the NI peace process amongst other things.

There was never as much scandal under the Tories, and most of it was private and sexually related which does not actually affect the running of government. Labour had outdone any Tory scandal in spades within two years of coming to power. Think about it, because I remember having this discussion during 1999 when I was already punch-drunk with Labour scandals.

Eccleston and F1 advertising for a 1 million donation, Mandelson and the Hinduja passport affair, as well as lying on his mortgage application, releasing bad news on Diana's death to deflect attention, multiple releasing of funding news, double/triple-counting of investment in the NHS immediately spring to mind. Oh Dear oh Dear.

Comment

I agree; I had a lot of respect for him personally then as now. But it was clear the rest of the Tories were a complete shambles and couldn't continue. And Major, much like Brown is now, wasn't best suited to be in the full glare of the top job in the same way that Thatcher and Blair were.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I just have the image of "underpants" in my mind for some reason. I may have been more influenced by the Guardian () and Spitting Image in those days than I would be now.

To his credit he did win a General Election during a recession, he was unfortunate that the slender majority meant he had no effective way of dealing with problem MP behaviour and that made party business difficult.

Comment

Working...
                    X