• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am i paying too much Tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am i paying too much Tax?

Hi

I am a contractor, and I go through an Umbrella Company. I have never really understood how it all works, I just know I get a wage at the end of every week. But I took time just to see how much i get in my pocket per hour after tax and Umbrella company fees. Basically, I am on 20.70 per hour, and after a 37.5 hour week, i get the equivelant of £13.42 per hour in my pocket, I thought this seems pretty low. Does this figure seem right to you guys?

Kind Regards

Originally posted by bigmaz View Post

I have never really understood how it all works,

Just an idea but should you not find out?

Originally posted by bigmaz View Post
    Basically, I am on 20.70 per hour, and after a 37.5 hour week, i get the equivelant of £13.42 per hour in my pocket, I thought this seems pretty low. Does this figure seem right to you guys?
    yup seems about right. 65-70% being the norm

Comment

Yes this seems about right - approx 65% after you deduct:

Employers NI
      Employees NI
      Holiday pay
      Tax
      Umbrella fees.

Who is your umbrella?
      Last edited by Svalbaard; 6 July 2009, 14:07.
      Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

You are not really on 20.70 an hour as employers NI has to be taken off before you get to personal taxation.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Have you thought of applying to other umbrellas and asking how much you would take home with them?

Comment

Umbrella Company Net Income

Bigmaz

You could try putting your rates and expenses into the spreadsheet here, there is a video to help you too.

I quickly did some numbers ( no expenses ) and came ot with £13.73 net, but assumed 48 weeks a year worked, so it depends on your actual situation.

It was interesting to note that in this scenario you would be financially better off ( more net income ) running your own VAT Registered Ltd Company ( Inside IR35 ). But the decision to run your own business should not just be for financial reasons at all.

Phil

Comment

we are all paying too much tax and with the nation debt ballooning we are doomed to do so for ever more............
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

spam removed
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 July 2009, 15:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Meades & Co View Post
                  Bigmaz

If you're interested in receiving up to 85% of the contract value without any more paperwork then send me a pm.

<admin note>Welcome to the forum. PM enabled on your account.</admin note>
                  Is this some sort of overseas loan scheme? Got a link?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Is this some sort of overseas loan scheme? Got a link?
                    And why is admin allowing such blatant advertising?
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X