• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firefox 3.5 - First impressions anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3.5 - First impressions anyone?

I'm regretting updating to v3.5. Read on another forum that it's glacially slow, and that's my experience too.

Also fails to start very regularly - caused by a failure to close down properly.

(Windows XP Pro SP3).

Perhaps I should get a mac ?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm regretting updating to v3.5. Read on another forum that it's glacially slow, and that's my experience too.

Also fails to start very regularly - caused by a failure to close down properly.

(Windows XP Pro SP3).

Working fine for me at ClientOrg (XP SP 3). I've been running the Betas since April, and the release version seems nice and fast. Haven't had any stability issues whatsoever.

What version were you upgrading from? As I've only ever run 3.5β and RC (or, for a little while, Shiretoko which is some kind of nightly build version) I've only ever had a 3.5 profile. Maybe there are problems if you have a profile from a previous version? (That's pure conjecture on my part.)

Overall I'm finding it to be fine. On the other hand, I'm posting this using Chrome, and am sticking with Safari 3 on my MacBook for the moment.

Still, using it for development including lots of stuff like SVG, MathML and WAI-ARIA, together with bleeding-edge JS/DOM stuff, I'd expect any crashing bugs to show up pretty quickly, and I haven't seen any so far.

Comment

'sfine here on Vista SP2
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Overall I'm finding it to be fine. On the other hand, I'm posting this using Chrome, and am sticking with Safari 3 on my MacBook for the moment.
        exactly I use Chrome for normal stuff now and firefox/firebug just for testing and debugging. I might even go as far as to say that IE8 is at least as good as firefox now!

Comment

I agree, IE8 is a very nice browser. I think I use FF more from habit than necessity to be honest now.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

(Windows XP Pro SP3).

Working fine for me (Windows XP Pro SP3)

I was getting those issues with the old version.

Comment

I've had a myriad of problems with Opera and all versions of FF crashing with stuck processes under Vista. Have now removed ZoneLabs firewall and all seems right and have had no reocurrences.

I like Firefox. Very quick. But I like Opera too.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
              X