• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emigration: New Zealand is off the list then...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emigration: New Zealand is off the list then...

New Zealand jobs crisis hits British expats
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Jobless foreigners risk losing their work visas and having to return to Britain, with some accusing the New Zealand government of pursuing a 'jobs for Kiwis' policy.
    While it seems a bit harsh I don't blame them. The immigration and visa policy of a Government must primarily favour the native population or it fails in its duty.
    Ok it sounds a bit racist, but NZ citizens aren't just white, it's not really racist, but it IS protectionist.

Comment

But that's exactly right though isn't it? I thought that was the whole point of a visa system (you can't work here unless there is a good reason/need) when the need dries up so should the visas. On the other side I also believe that if you are there long enough then you should get some extra rights/citizenship, I'm not sure if this happens in NZ?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        While it seems a bit harsh I don't blame them. The immigration and visa policy of a Government must primarily favour the native population or it fails in its duty.
        Ok it sounds a bit racist, but NZ citizens aren't just white, it's not really racist, but it IS protectionist.
        Not for the first time, you sound a complete PC retard. What the heck has the colour of NZ Citizens got to do with racism in regard to this policy ????

I do no think you understand what the term even means

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

New Zealand and Great Britain are united by our CommonWealth status.

This policy is rather shoddy and seems ill conceived - what does our UK Ambassador in NZ have to say on this matter ?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            In complete contrast to UK govt policy on letting Indian contractors take UK jobs.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Not for the first time, you sound a complete PC retard. What the heck has the colour of NZ Citizens got to do with racism in regard to this policy ????

I do no think you understand what the term even means
              Ok enlighten me, what does racism actually mean in real terms?

As I understand it it's very generally applied to negative descrimination based on racial types be they african/caribbean/asian(near, middle and far eastern)/indian sub continent/polynesian/caucasian/mongoloid/american native/aboriginal Australian.
              While there is undoubtedly discrimination within those rough subgroups based on what country they come from, imaginary friend they believe in and language(s) they speak the primary form I'm aware of is based on body type and colour.

Since the NZ citizen population is largely caucasian and polynesian I see the NZ policy as protectionist rather than specifically racist. If that makes me a PC retard then so be it.

Personally I think the NZ government has the right end of the stick in withdrawing foreign work visas now demand has dropped and skilled NZ citizens are available and looking for work. It's a shame the UK government is far too spineless to do something similar. I can't see the Tories contemplating it either when they get in at the next election.

Comment

The world has changed a lot in the last twelve months and these unfortunates have got the tulipty end of the stick of it.

The deal with Work to Residence (WTR) visas was that if you had an offer of a job then you could get one of these, after living in New Zealand for two years then you can apply for Permanent Residence.

It all worked well while there was full employment and a shortage of workers but that all changed about nine months ago and the job market has become dire. Now there is no work then people on the WTR scheme have to leave.

It hasn't helped that some people marketed the WTR scheme as an "easier" way to get into the country than applying for residency straight away. The people that took their advice have been left high and dry.

Most of the people in Britain I know would be delighted if the UK operated a similar system.

There are plenty of other people who already have residency and are still up tulip creek. It doesn't help much being allowed to stay in the country if you can't pay the mortgage or the rent and there are a lot of people (many Poms who arrived in the last three or four years) now in that situation.
                Last edited by Gonzo; 7 July 2009, 02:50.

Comment

In Switzerland, non-EU workers who lose their jobs within the first 10 years, have 3 months to find another job, for which another work permit must be granted.

NZ is two years. It's a risk of being an expat.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

NZ doing the right thing. Any chance we can do the same in the UK?

Comment

Working...
                    X