• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company restructuring - does this always mean job losses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company restructuring - does this always mean job losses

My girlfriend works as a permie for a large outsourcing company. Her department is busy and have taken on 2 new staff in the last 2 months - However, a new director has just started and today has invited his management team to an emergency restructuring meeting.

Does this generally mean job cuts?

Originally posted by notescontractor View Post
    My girlfriend works as a permie for a large outsourcing company. Her department is busy and have taken on 2 new staff in the last 2 months - However, a new director has just started and today has invited his management team to an emergency restructuring meeting.

Not always, but often in the case of "emergency" restructuring.

It could be the typical new boss trying to stamp his mark early by buggering about with established teams and processes, we've probably all seen that many times when a new bigwig appears.

Comment

Does it mean job cuts?

Probably. The new director has probably got the job on the back of his/her promise to make things more efficient and cut costs. His/her bonus is probably tied to this promise. What's the quickest way to cut costs?

Comment

Only in so far as the new Director wants some people out so that they can get their mates in.

This is normal although not usually the best for productivity.

Comment

Sometimes managers take on staff when expecting cutbacks. Then they can get rid of them if redundancies needed!

Provided she is not in the 2 recently hired she should be okay : if they are busy.

Comment

My girlfriend works as a permie for a large outsourcing company.
            Traitor.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Traitor.
              subtle
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                It could be the typical new boss trying to stamp his mark early by buggering about with established teams and processes, we've probably all seen that many times when a new bigwig appears.

Like the famous bungee boss script from dilbert.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ps4YVYPt3A
                Last edited by minestrone; 7 July 2009, 08:03.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  subtle
                  Geenetic mate. Lancastrians (and Yorkies) are born without the subtle gene. We just cant do it. Hence you have to say things like "lets call a spade a spade" and we just call it a fookin shuvel if it is one.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

My girlfriend works as a permie for a large outsourcing company.
                    Traitor.
                    She's a witch! BURN HER!
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X