• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Name Change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name Change

Random question

Does anybody here know whether on the late 1800s , names changes would have been recorded anywhere in England,

I am trying to track down an ancestor and I have a suspicion they changed their name.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    Random question

Does anybody here know whether on the late 1800s , names changes would have been recorded anywhere in England,

I am trying to track down an ancestor and I have a suspicion they changed their name.
    Dont know the answer, but I know that people changed name to avoid persecution or to disguise nationality.

What did they change it to ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Try the National Archive web site
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Random question

I have never heard of any register of name changes being kept.

After all, the country doesn't have a centralised national identity database does it?

Comment

This might help but it sounds like you'll need a bit of luck.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...fletID=176&j=1
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Dont know the answer, but I know that people changed name to avoid persecution or to disguise nationality.

What did they change it to ?

Thank you people,

I suspect the change was something Jewish or Gypsy(Maybe East European Origin) to a very common English surname.

Comment

Thank you people,

I suspect the change was something Jewish or Gypsy(Maybe East European Origin) to a very common English surname.
              Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor eh?

B00med!

Comment

Random question

If your surname is Fitzalan Howard, your ancestor may have been a Mr Bugg, who changed his name to that in the late 19th century.

Unfortunately it didn't have quite the intended result, because not long afterward everyone started calling bed bugs and suchlike Fitzalan Howards
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Thank you people,

Was he once: Montague John Druitt, or George Chapman, or Aaron Kosminski, or Michael Ostrog, John Pizer, Francis Tumblety?
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                    Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor eh?

Nor Battenburg to Mountbatten

One of the things I think I can be relatively sure of is that I have not a jot of royal blood.

Comment

Working...
                    X