• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How does a programmer earn $400k?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does a programmer earn $400k?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8137607.stm

Ex-Goldman worker in theft charge

A former worker for Goldman Sachs, Russian programmer Sergey Aleynikov, has been released on bail in the US, charged with "theft of trade secrets".

He has been accused of misusing computer codes owned by a former employer, unnamed in court papers but reportedly Goldman Sachs.

Mr Aleynikov was released on Monday, having met the $750,000 bail (£463,000) after his arrest by the FBI on Friday.

He left his job at Goldman, where he earned $400,000 a year, in June.

A transcript of Mr Aleynikov's attendance before a US magistrate on Saturday showed that he worked for Goldman Sachs.

Goldman Sachs said it did not comment on former employees.

The FBI arrested Mr Aleynikov, 39, as he disembarked from a flight in Newark on Friday, according to FBI documents.

Proprietary information

Sabrina Shroff, Mr Aleynikov's lawyer, said her client did not plan to sell the information or use it "contrary to my employment agreement with Goldman Sachs".

The case has raised issues about how safe such lucrative trading systems are.

As well as the $750,000 bond required as part of the bail, Mr Aleynikov was required to deliver $75,000 in cash and hand over travel documents.

Mr Aleynikov is accused of using proprietary information and uploading it to a computer based in Germany.

He argued that he had only meant to use open-source computer files, as opposed to propriety information, but later "realised that he had obtained more files than he intended", FBI court papers stated.

===============================
    How does a programmer earn $400k? Or was he not programming at GoldmineSucks?

It'll make more sence if you go back to the origins of the story at ZeroHedge or the Reuters Stories rather than read total tulip that comes out of the BBC business department.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

So in fact he is not a coder : he stole code. Well done the BBC.

Comment

The guy was developing complex algorithms which trade automatically based
        on low latency market data. It's a very niche area and requires high level
        of maths / quants knowledge + knowledge about modelling financial instruments + programming skills + knowledge about low latency market data.

Comment

Quants probably.

When I were a nipper, the holy grail was to find a mathematical framework which could be applied to horse-racing data to find the winners of the races. It can't be done.

Quants are doing essentially the same thing but it is more respectable.

Comment

I still think it's a typo.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Did you see the bit where this might be a double bluff by GS? He was arrested 1 day after starting at his new company, Teza. GS could therefore maybe stop Teza in its tracks, claiming that they were using their code.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I still think it's a typo.
                he was a quant probably .They get paid gazillions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                  The guy was developing complex algorithms which trade automatically based
                  on low latency market data. It's a very niche area and requires high level
                  of maths / quants knowledge + knowledge about modelling financial instruments + programming skills + knowledge about low latency market data.
                  WHS - He's an quant algo developer.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Quants probably.
                    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    he was a quant probably .They get paid gazillions.
                    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    WHS - He's an quant algo developer.
                    So you lot think he was a quant?

Oh FFS
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X