• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heathrow - for Londoners only?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heathrow - for Londoners only?

The Dutch have abandoned departure taxes just as the UK is about to ramp up air passenger duty

If you have to fly and cannot go direct, changing in Europe is less hassle than Heathrow and if its cheaper too.

So other than Londoners, or people flying just to visit London, who else would want to use it?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Some years ago when I was flying from Edinburgh to Prague a lot I used to change planes in Amsterdam regularly.

Comment

Do they still use that "the world's favourite connection?" Cobblers.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        Some years ago when I was flying from Edinburgh to Prague a lot I used to change planes in Amsterdam regularly.
        Schiphol is nice and you can get on to the trains easily - unlike Heathrow.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I live round the corner from Leeds/Brad. Could never really understand why both KLM and Jet2 have flights to Amsterdam several times a day whereas BMI had just cancelled the Heathrow flights.

All makes sense now!

Comment

I thought Dubai was trying to overtake Heathrow?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Bit far away, n'est pas?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Schiphol is nice and you can get on to the trains easily - unlike Heathrow.
                Yes the trains there are fantastic - I use to commute there every week.

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                I live round the corner from Leeds/Brad. Could never really understand why both KLM and Jet2 have flights to Amsterdam several times a day whereas BMI had just cancelled the Heathrow flights.

All makes sense now!
                BMI now owned by Lufthansa - they prefer to take you to Frankfurt

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Yes they are trying hard when the new aiport opens (6 runways I think) it will not be difficult provided the state goverment keeps subsidising the airline and airport (if they can afford too).

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                Bit far away, n'est pas?
                For UK to EU - yes a bit out of the way - but, if you are going to Far East or Oz, then it makes for a convenient stop. Also for travel between USA and Mid/East, Africa, India etc then cutting out London has big time saving and cost saving benefits.

Comment

Heathrow isn't very good for Londoners. It needs a proper rail connection to central London, and not the rip-off 'business class' HEX service to Paddington in the west.

And don't even think of using the Picadilly line, unless you live far out west in Acton.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    Heathrow isn't very good for Londoners. It needs a proper rail connection to central London, and not the rip-off 'business class' HEX service to Paddington in the west.

And don't even think of using the Picadilly line, unless you live far out west in Acton.
                    So its no good for anyone then - can we close it down?

Comment

Working...
                    X