• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social housing prioritisation and immigrants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social housing prioritisation and immigrants

Sorry BNP Members / Daily Mail readers but it seems that immigrants are not given any preferential treatment over social housing.

There is no evidence that new arrivals in the UK are able to jump council housing queues, an Equality and Human Rights Commission report says.

Once they settle and are entitled to help, it adds, the same proportion live in social housing as UK-born residents.
    Link
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Should we have any immigrants in the first place though? Especially the FRench! Send them all home.

Comment

It is any idiotic idea that we need anyone who needs social housing at all. In what way do they make a net contribution to the UK? How many people's future pensions are they likely to pay for?

Ah yes, that "low paid jobs that British workers don't want to do" nonsense. In a free market there is usually one good reason why a job does not pay an adequate wage, because it is a job that is not worth doing.

Using our welfare system to subsidise a cook come bottle washer at a restaurant that makes insufficient profit to pay a normal wage makes as much economic sense as subsidising a job at British Leyland.

If businesses cannot pay their own way without the owners or employees being propped up by welfare, they should not exist.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

And why is "same proportion" supposed to be acceptable?

We are stuck with our own less able, one could even argue that as our society made them we have a responsibility to them. We have no such duties to foreign citizens. Would anyone seriously take issue with Oz or the US for not accepting our sink estate youths along with our professionals? Of course not. So why should we take in less able or even average migrants? Average ability raises no averages.

Migrants should not simply be our equals in anything. We should have a system that as far as possible ensures they are far better than us.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Would anyone seriously take issue with Oz or the US for not accepting our sink estate youths .
          Sending our sink estate youths to these countries ensures that both sides have their average IQ increased

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

They might be in "the same proportion" - and looking who did the survey you can bet the questions were skewed - but they shouldn't even be on the list at all.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Surely the fact that immigrants have the same proportion of social housing is obvious evidence of favouritism towards them. As they have arrived in recent years and housing lists will already have existed for years with thousands of indigenous folk on them and therefore with higher priority, it would normally be a very long time before they could achieve the 'same proportion' of social housing. Yet, they have achieved acquisition of property quickly and against all odds.

They really must think that we will believe anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                Sorry BNP Members / Daily Mail readers but it seems that immigrants are not given any preferential treatment over social housing.

Link
                Have a look at this analysis by Mark Wadsworth

4 million units of social housing in the UK (local authority or housing association).
                Average length of tenancy 25 years.
                Hence units to be allocated each year = 160,000.
                Number of households on waiting lists 1.6 million, so average time on waiting list almost certainly more than five years.
                On that basis, there'd be next to no 'recent arrivals' in social housing, because 'recent arrivals' are people who've been here less than five years, natch.

Alternatively:
                4 million units x 2% occupied by 'recent arrivals' = 80,000
                Units allocated in last five years = 5 x 160,000 (from above) = 800,000
                On that basis, ten per cent of available social housing has been given to 'recent arrivals'.

Now, the first article they linked to said that slightly less than five per cent of housing managed by housing associations was allocated to 'recent arrivals', so if ten per cent of all social housing has gone to 'recent arrivals', the proportion for housing managed by local authorities must be rather higher than ten per cent, somewhere in the region of twelve or thirteen per cent.

So while the underlying statistics may be authentic, they actually show the opposite of what The Righteous say that they show.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Here's what the Daily Mail say.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    How ironic that a blog post entitled more-fakestatistics-tomfoolery contains a bunch of statistical crap as well.¨

Even if the system is equitable, I'm not convinced it should be. Whether the "immigrants" are from Romania or Cornwall it should still be tilted in favour of locals.
                    Last edited by NotAllThere; 7 July 2009, 13:25.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X