• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news for financial services contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news for financial services contractors?

UK to reform financial regulation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8138705.stm

Any changes in regulation are bound to lead to short term surges in project work

I dont think there are going to be many opportunities coming as from what I can see they arent going to do anything apart from get some poor sod to write lots of reports and create an adviceline, so you can ring up and ask questions that they wont have answers to

computer says no.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8140457.stm

However I guess the city will carry on as normal now so I guess they might be hiring some more people!

I did notice that the investment and retail banks used to have to be separate, now they are not, I assume this was mr Brown?

Comment

Not sure; I've had a few calls about it over the past couple of weeks.

No-one seems to know what it's about, meaning that the Deloittes, KPMG and PwCs of this world will get the first bite of the cherry (=first opportunity to cock it up).

Comment

From what I hear some of the IBs are back making pre-credit crunch profits because of all the stimulus and withdrawl of competition. There will be some big bonuses this year and it will be interesting to see the public reaction.

For IT folks, I think we are starting to see an upturn. I know several people who say their teams are hiring at the moment. 2010 should be a good year.*

* I hope!

Comment

giving away trade secrets here but my jobserve search is java or c# not banking if I change that to remove not banking it goes up by 50% (i.e. 100 to 150).

my point is I dont think its that slack atm, but I dont having investment banking experience so its not going to affect me, apart from possibly less competition in the normal market.

Comment

Originally posted by DSW View Post
            giving away trade secrets here but my jobserve search is java or c# not banking if I change that to remove not banking it goes up by 50% (i.e. 100 to 150).

my point is I dont think its that slack atm, but I dont having investment banking experience so its not going to affect me, apart from possibly less competition in the normal market.
            Having worked with many of the ******* in IB I'm not missing it one iota.

For the sake of avoiding any confusion here, I'll say that again. *******.

Comment

Working...
            X