• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fuse replacement 2A with 3A

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse replacement 2A with 3A

I have a fuse that has blown its 2A can I replace it with a 3A fuse or must it be a 2A fuse, I thought I could use a 3A as its higher rated so no probs, but no one seems to be sure.

Brilliant.

So be on the safe side, use a no.7 wood screw. Rated to over 200A.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Brilliant.

So be on the safe side, use a no.7 wood screw. Rated to over 200A.
      But when it blows, it really blows!!!

Comment

It could give you problems because whereas it would normally blow a 2A fuse it will not blow a 3A until more power is applied, which could cause damage to circuitry that a 2A fuse was there to protect.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
          I have a fuse that has blown its 2A can I replace it with a 3A fuse or must it be a 2A fuse, I thought I could use a 3A as its higher rated so no probs, but no one seems to be sure.
          3A or anything higher will be fine. What could go wrong??

PZZ

Comment

Actually, given the wide manufacturing tolerances of bog standard cartridge fuses, there probably isn't much difference between a 2A and 3A fuse.

2A/3A who cares?

20A/30A very much care!

Not that I'm condoning the principle, mind!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I have replaced all my fuses with 6" nails. Never had one blow since.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                3A or anything higher will be fine. What could go wrong??

PZZ
                Consider:

There's something broken in the appliance which is drawing too much current. Therefore 2A fuse has broken. Replace 2A with 3A, fuse now does not blow, but some components are taking too much power and consequently get exceptionally hot.

Hot component overheats and explodes. Fire starts in the corner of the room, smoke alarm is broken, so family sleeps whilst they are poisoned with toxic fumes. Family all die.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Consider:

There's something broken in the appliance which is drawing too much current. Therefore 2A fuse has broken. Replace 2A with 3A, fuse now does not blow, but some components are taking too much power and consequently get exceptionally hot.

Hot component overheats and explodes. Fire starts in the corner of the room, smoke alarm is broken, so family sleeps whilst they are poisoned with toxic fumes. Family all die.
                  Natural selection!

Simples!

Comment

The foil from a Kit Kat used to be best. Now it is plastic it doesn't work.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X