• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brilliant. Will the real Walter Mitty please stand up!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant. Will the real Walter Mitty please stand up!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8139909.stm

US veteran's D-Day lies exposed

Howard Manoian pretended he had been part of a dramatic D-Day mission
    An American veteran who said he parachuted into Normandy as part of the D-Day landings in June 1944 has been exposed as a liar.

Howard Manoian, 84, had been awarded the prestigious French award the Legion d'honneur for bravery.

He claimed he had landed in Sainte-Mere-Eglise in France - the setting of a fierce battle immortalised in the John Wayne film The Longest Day.

But his military records reveal he spent the war behind the front line.

Mr Manoian was a local war hero in Sainte-Mere-Eglise, with a plaque erected in his honour.

He said he had served with the famous 82nd Airborne Division, and would tell vivid tales of his parachute mission.

"Even in the aeroplane I was wondering what it was going to be like. They are going to start firing at us when we get near the land," he said.

"One planeload jumped and landed in the square by the church and of course the Germans were already up and they were firing as they came down... Half of them were killed and wounded immediately. That was the first time I saw a person dead face to face."
    __________________________________________________ ______
    I remember that part of the film also
    __________________________________________________ ______

War injuries

In fact Mr Manoian served with the 33rd Chemical Decontamination Company, which operated well behind the front line.

He spent most of the war looking after a supply dump in northern France after arriving on Utah beach by supply ship.

Mr Manoian claimed he had been hit by German machine gun bullets in the left hand and both legs during a fire fight on 17 June 1944, and then again by a Nazi plane that targeted the hospital where he was recovering.

In fact his only war injuries were a broken middle finger while on standby in England and then heavy bruising to another hand.

The lies came to light when military records were obtained by the Boston Herald.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8139909.stm

US veteran's D-Day lies exposed

Howard Manoian pretended he had been part of a dramatic D-Day mission
    An American veteran who said he parachuted into Normandy as part of the D-Day landings in June 1944 has been exposed as a liar.

Howard Manoian, 84, had been awarded the prestigious French award the Legion d'honneur for bravery.
    Threaded

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I think you'll find that Threaded being such a large spherical object was actually an invention by Barnes Wallace to break German damns
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        He spent most of the war looking after a supply dump in northern France after arriving on Utah beach by supply ship.
        Well if that's true then he must have been the bravest US soldier of all. "Most of the war" means he landed in Normandy at least 2 years before anybody else.

Comment

Sounds like this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            * dams

*I've been reading a book about dam failures...
            stop mohneing
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              * dams

*I've been reading a book about dam failures...
              Damn those damn dams!!!

Comment

Working...
              X