• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A trillion pounds deposited in UK banks today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A trillion pounds deposited in UK banks today

... as a result of Darlings promises on banking reform- just saw it on CNN TV.

PZZ

I hope the banks invest that money wisely...I've heard there's some very nice property dotted across southern England - Swindon and Berkshire come to mind..
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      I hope the banks invest that money wisely...I've heard there's some very nice property dotted across southern England - Swindon and Berkshire come to mind..
      Yes, they are going to lend it to the UK Gov= will be wasted in 48 hours.

Just a thought- how long before Gordon Brown has a leading role in 'Gone in 60 seconds 2'??

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
        ... as a result of Darlings promises on banking reform- just saw it on CNN TV.

PZZ
        Bollocks. Bank of England wouldn't have the figures nearly so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
          Bollocks. Bank of England wouldn't have the figures nearly so quickly.
          That is what CNN said and had a spokes woman from the BofE to substantiate an hour later.
          (Hint: This was investment in UK banks, not cash....)

(Second hint: I believe that the BofE would be able to stump up this kind of cash if they had to to prevent a confidence crash on sterling).

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
            That is what CNN said and had a spokes woman from the BofE to substantiate an hour later.
            (Hint: This was investment in UK banks, not cash....)

(Second hint: I believe that the BofE would be able to stump up this kind of cash if they had to to prevent a confidence crash on sterling).

PZZ
            True.

It may be share buying in the LBG, RBS, HSBC and Barclays ... but I'm if I'm honest, I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Comment

True.

It may be share buying in the LBG, RBS, HSBC and Barclays ... but I'm if I'm honest, I'm too lazy to go look it up.
              Me too, speak tomorrow.

PZZ

Comment

True.

Nope.

Reuters

Banks were under pressure on the economic outlook and following plans set out by British finance minister Alistair Darling to strengthen regulation of financial markets to prevent a re-run of the credit crunch. [ID:nL8659476]

Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS.L), Barclays (BARC.L), HSBC (HSBA.L) and Lloyds Banking Group (LLOY.L) fell between 1.9 and 4.5 percent
                Sounds like total bollo to me.

Are you sure you're not getting confused with the announcement of asset purchase operations? example: BoE
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Nope.

Reuters

Sounds like total bollo to me.

Are you sure you're not getting confused with the announcement of asset purchase operations? example: BoE
                  Nope, sitting here have seen it come up on CNN 4 times in the last couple of hours.

PZZ

Comment

Give that a trillion squidlies is of the same order as the amount that the British tax payer has 'invested' in the shares of the UK banking sector, you'd think that someone else would have mentioned this.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X