• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Operation Panther's Claw

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation Panther's Claw

Who on earth dreams up these ridiculous military operation names?

Smacks of a department of overpaid civil servants with a big dictionary somehwere ....

After 1000 years of pissing the world off I think all the good ones have been taken.

Comment

Real stuff by the sound of it....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...h-Taliban.html
      PZZ

Comment

It's bonkers that after all these years our technologically advanced army are still out there, fighting a few religious weirdy-beardies armed with homemade bombs and poorly maintained AK47's.

Surely more than one military commander must have thought, "We've tried the long and drawn out approach to no avail, sod it, let's pull out the nukes and show we mean business".

There's no point having a big stick, if you don't use it on special occassions.

Small surgical strikes are ofc, always better in most situations, but now and then, it's nice to play with the big toys and watch the enemy surrender.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          It's bonkers that after all these years our technologically advanced army are still out there, fighting a few religious weirdy-beardies armed with homemade bombs and poorly maintained AK47's.

Surely more than one military commander must have thought, "We've tried the long and drawn out approach to no avail, sod it, let's pull out the nukes and show we mean business".

There's no point having a big stick, if you don't use it on special occassions.

Small surgical strikes are ofc, always better in most situations, but now and then, it's nice to play with the big toys and watch the enemy surrender.
          Eh? Am I reading you right? Or were you just being ironic?

Are you actually suggesting that the use of nuclear weapons (even tactical yields) would be a good idea?

I wonder what the chaps in the field would make of your execrable suggestion of using the 'big stick' on 'special occasions'.
          Last edited by bogeyman; 9 July 2009, 01:16.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            I wonder what the chaps in the field would make of your execrable suggestion of using the 'big stick' on 'special occasions'.
            Presumably they would be withdrawn first : or they might be a tad unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              Who on earth dreams up these ridiculous military operation names?
              Andyw
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                Eh? Am I reading you right? Or were you just being ironic?

Are you actually suggesting that the use of nuclear weapons (even tactical yields) would be a good idea?

I wouldn't advise the use of nukes but to be honest, it's not like there is much there to destroy anyway. It looks as barren as Anne Widdecombe
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Squaddies are much cheaper than nukes.

That plutonium & U235 is expensive stuff you know, too good to waste.

HTH.
                  and it's not like it goes off quickly either!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Tactical...the other sort leaves an unpleasant glow which isn't very friendly.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X