• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tips for moving to Germany?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been getting offers to go contract in Germany, probably for at least a year. Any tips from people who have done it before?

I'm anticipating it to be a real pain in the bum to relocate.

Taking the family?

Weekly commute?

UK Ltd Co?

Which part of Germany?

Do you speak German?

Kids, schooling etc

Comment

Originally posted by whattodo View Post
      Don't mention the war!
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

I've generally found going online and booking a flight helps, oh and pack a suitcase..
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Go to France, and turn left.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by whattodo View Post
            I've been getting offers to go contract in Germany, probably for at least a year. Any tips from people who have done it before?

I'm anticipating it to be a real pain in the bum to relocate.
            Tip #1 - dont relocate. live out of a suitcase and rough it like the rest of us.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

for a year I would just get a furnished flat or appartment and travel back until you're sure. That might of course become a "pemanent" arrangement, but provided you have a small appartment you can spend weekends there and reduce your travelling.

If you relocate totally...then returning will also become a complete pain in the bum, and you'll get trapped. Germany is actually a great place so you have to be careful you don't get too comfortable.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Taking the family?

Weekly commute?

UK Ltd Co?

Which part of Germany?

Do you speak German?

Kids, schooling etc
                WHS, more info required..

renting or buying? if renting then beware that Germans literally take their kitchens and bathrooms with them when they move so assuming you have a sink, toilet and bath on your new rental is being very naive

uk ltd or german self employed? if your working here long term then self employed is generally the way to go, get yourself a english speaking german accountant asap
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Book into a hotel for a month. That gives you time to look around and get to know a few people.
                  Your coleagues probably wont offer help as it never occurs to them, but if you ask they will help.

Both of the following will have furnished appartments in the region you are looking at. Often there are some in the local paper.
                  Homecompany.de
                  immobilienscout24.de

Try to learn a few short phrases in German. These will get you a long way.
                  Excuse me.
                  I dont speak German.
                  Could you help me please.
                  Do you speak English.

Transport is efficient and usualy cheap.
                  Shops close early on Saturdays.
                  Shops close on bank holidays and the bank holidays fall on the date. That means they dont move so if it falls on a Saturday you cant go shopping.

Oh, and they drive on the wrong side of the road.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Go to France, and turn left.
                    You ****! He'll end up in Belgium.

Comment

Working...
                    X