• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Talking of teachers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking of teachers

My missus is thinking of jacking in her current career (Recruits into finance) and doing something a bit more kid friendly - teaching.

Specifically maths teaching. Fack knows why, but she likes maths and did a business degree heavy on maths. Only worry is she's no idea if she'll be any good, or indeed enjoy being a teacher to secondary school kids ...

Anyone got experience, 2nd hand or spousal or whatever, can impart any advice, or places for her to go chat about it with people who do?

Cheers.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

If she wants to find if she's any good with teenagers, and would enjoy it, she could volunteer to help out at a local youth centre. It might also be possible to volunteer at a school in some capacity without qualifications - in both cases she'd have to be CRB checked but that's standard I believe for anyone working with kids.

Personally, I can't imagine the average school would be fun to work in until you get to A-level - the chavs have all left and most pupils actually want to take the subject.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Tempting to be into teaching as it is, the closest I think I'd want to be to it would be behind a sniper rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If she wants to find if she's any good with teenagers, and would enjoy it, she could volunteer to help out at a local youth centre. It might also be possible to volunteer at a school in some capacity without qualifications - in both cases she'd have to be CRB checked but that's standard I believe for anyone working with kids.

Personally, I can't imagine the average school would be fun to work in until you get to A-level - the chavs have all left and most pupils actually want to take the subject.
        Gotta say that's sort of my take. I'm trying not to appear negative, so not really saying that that way, but in my mind I can't think of anything worse than teaching teenagers. But I've no idea what that really involves, or what personality traits would be suited for that kind of career. I think that's her dilemma as well. She could also try for primary, but there's more demand for secondary (Esp maths) and it's actually easier to get into.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          but in my mind I can't think of anything worse than teaching teenagers.
          What about being a finance pimp?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            What about being a finance pimp?
            True, she works with some real a-holes.

But she's one of the good guys, she came from IB and knows what she's talking about and actually enjoys helping people get placed.

But long term it's not gonna work, especially when the kids start school so we're (She's) looking now at a change for the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              My missus is thinking of jacking in her current career (Recruits into finance) and doing something a bit more kid friendly - teaching.

Specifically maths teaching. Fack knows why, but she likes maths and did a business degree heavy on maths. Only worry is she's no idea if she'll be any good, or indeed enjoy being a teacher to secondary school kids ...

Anyone got experience, 2nd hand or spousal or whatever, can impart any advice, or places for her to go chat about it with people who do?

Cheers.
              My girlfriend is 2 weeks from finishing her first year as a primary school teacher having completed her PGCE course last year.
              I have never seen her so stressed, exhausted, exhilirated, happy and despondant in my life.

She consistantly has worked from 8am until approx 9pm Mon to Fri and then most of a day at the weekend and this is teaching at primary level...
              She says she would not go back to office life and I think it will get easier as after the first year is completed but she admits she totally underestimated the work involved.
              Holidays look appealing on the face of it but often there is lots of work to be done in them as well.

As said volunteering to help in a school or becoming a teaching assistant would be a good way to get an idea of what's involved.
              I'd imagine secondary schools could be quite "challenging" depending on the area.

Comment

I can back that up, my other half has just finished her training year where she spent most of her time at a primary school. SHe was working al levening every evening, but mates have told me after the first year at school things start to calm down as they have their lesson plans sorted which just need tweaking from year to year.

If I was going to be a teacher I would also do Maths, or maybe Physics, I can see the attraction. If she is thinking about it she should do it. My missus had some real lows doing the course, but is so pleased she went into it.

Comment

For reference, Most teachers I know say the PGCE is the hardest part, it really is demanding simply in terms of long hours - lectures all day, essays to write and numerous placements working in schools.

That's why I recommend she finds some way to work with kids first, if she knows she loves it then that is something to help get through the PGCE.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                    I can back that up, my other half has just finished her training year where she spent most of her time at a primary school. SHe was working al levening every evening, but mates have told me after the first year at school things start to calm down as they have their lesson plans sorted which just need tweaking from year to year.

If I was going to be a teacher I would also do Maths, or maybe Physics, I can see the attraction. If she is thinking about it she should do it. My missus had some real lows doing the course, but is so pleased she went into it.
                    Agreed - I think after the first year is done lesson plans can be reused and also you can just "wing it" a bit more rather than having everything planned out (And then quite often not using it as timetables often change)
                    She certainly does not regret going into teaching but it is by no means an easy option with long holidays.

Comment

Working...
                    X