• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever flown in a flying boat?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or driven an amphibious tank? Or taken Concorde?

What's it like? (Nudge nudge - you can tell me - we're all men of the world here)
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Or driven an amphibious tank? Or taken Concorde?

What's it like? (Nudge nudge - you can tell me - we're all men of the world here)
    Flown in an aircraft with floats in the Maldives, does that count?

Landing on the sea = bumpy!

Comment

Flying boat/sea plane, As a passenger,Bumpy take off/landing otherwise like a normal small plane..aka noisy as hell

Comment

No, but I worked on a plantation in Africa where some of the old guys remembered when air service from South Africa to London was a flying boat that took off from Cape Town and stopped on the way in Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria, then in the Nile at Khartoum and Cairo, then near Athens, Rome, Marseille and finally landed on the Thames. Travelling just never seemed the same after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post

I agree...I've done the same thing. Once you have landed on water you will never again think a runway landing is bumpy!
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Me too - puked - not nice

Made sure we got the boat back to Male on the way back despite the fact that it took much longer!
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Me too but had smooth take off and landing each time - must've been lucky. Pilots hold hands on the throttles at takoff to make sure they aren't jolted off to lower power by bumps.

Comment

I've flown on Concorde.

Initial acceleration was quite amazing.

Cruise was unremarkable, apart from being able to see the curvature of the earth...

Deceleration was quite impressive too...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Btw ex-wife offered to pay for concorde flight from her inheritance - I was tempted but felt I couldn't justify it.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    No, but I worked on a plantation in Africa where some of the old guys remembered when air service from South Africa to London was a flying boat that took off from Cape Town and stopped on the way in Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria, then in the Nile at Khartoum and Cairo, then near Athens, Rome, Marseille and finally landed on the Thames. Travelling just never seemed the same after that.
                    I remember seeing a documentary about that route on the telly. Just about the most romantic travel option I can imagine. I think someone tried to revive the service a few years ago in a slightly smaller plane, but they couldn't join the whole thing up safely any more. Something like that anyway.

I'd like to try an airship one of these days, if they ever become popular again.

Comment

Working...
                    X