• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest university application figures show 9.7% rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest university application figures show 9.7% rise

Thought provoking stuff. I shall keep mine to myself, but I will say think there is a major change of direction needed here

linky
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

University is a popular choice in times of economic woe. Hiding away from the commercial world for 3 years can look like a sensible choice.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      Thought provoking stuff. I shall keep mine to myself, but I will say think there is a major change of direction needed here

linky
      There is so much I want to say too but I'd best keep my gob shut.

STIFFEN UP THE ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS!!!

Sorry, that just slipped out.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I was thinking about some of the individual figures...

For example - English....history....politics....drama; all really valuable stuff that will have the kids walking into a high paying job when they graduate. Not.

Refreshing rise in some of the science and engineering courses though.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

WTF?

More than twice as many psychology applications as mathematics?

This means that either:

(a) there's a lot of crazies out there, or
          (b) there's a lot of lazies out there

In other statistics there are >20% year on year increases from students >25 years old, providing support to the theory about economic woe.

Comment

I was thinking about some of the individual figures...

For example - English....history....politics....drama; all really valuable stuff that will have the kids walking into a high paying job when they graduate. Not.

Refreshing rise in some of the science and engineering courses though.
            What is your degree in PM-Junkie ?
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              What is your degree in PM-Junkie ?
              Physics....and for my pains I also have a masters.

So I may be just a tad biased, but I would strip a lot of the funding for non-science/engineering courses and target it where the country needs skills for the future. And with the greatest of respect, I'm not entirely sure that is in producing tens of thousands of English graduates

Comment

There are lots of businesses that just want you to have a degree of some kind.
                Having a degree shows a level of dedication and aptitude.
                Business will train the right candidate in their field which is much better than trying to tailor courses to fit the market.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

So I may be just a tad biased, but I would strip a lot of the funding for non-science/engineering courses and target it where the country needs skills for the future. And with the greatest of respect, I'm not entirely sure that is in producing tens of thousands of English graduates
                  at least the English graduates will have the good grace and education not to include a .NOT at the end of a sarcastic comment

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Have to say, whilst I'm in agreement with you on the science and engineering courses I'd also be keen to ensure that there was a massive uptick in vocational courses - which the prospective employers would pay for.

Comment

Working...
                    X