• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - A Concept

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B - A Concept

I've had an epiphany (not the anal sort).

Why don't we (all the people who are on The Bench) organise ourselves, set up a very professional pimp site and offer our services, at 'real' market rates to the corporate world ?

I can think of many names for this new entity, but am open to suggestions (and that's not the anal sort either).

Signed Rabid 'Che Guavara' Dog

Originally posted by rabiddog View Post
    offer our services, at 'real' market rates to the corporate world ?
    a)Most on this board think 'real' rates are higher than what existing agencies are currently paying... so why would clients choose you?
    b)How are you ever going to convince people you're not like other agents? Everytime an agent comes here and tries to explain they're not like the rest, they get shot down.

ps: what's with the anal fixation?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Perhaps the epiphany has made his whole weak, or he brainstormed the idea with HAB?

Comment

Not an agent, just on the bench and bored - thought it was worth a laugh, think i'll leave you lot to it and return to lurking - ta-raaaa.

Comment

Not an agent, just on the bench and bored - thought it was worth a laugh, think i'll leave you lot to it and return to lurking - ta-raaaa.
          Well if you give up that easy, then I guess you are right to go back to lurking.

It's often a thought of mine that there are enough benched contractors on here to put something together and make some money at it. The thing is you never know how long people are going to be around for. For this to work it needs a detailed design, and then the tasks broken down into bitesize chunks. There are enough collaborative web projects that succeed so it can be done.

For example ideas I have had and am prepare to be flamed on here for include :

Web site for car garages with pay per usage shop front and ebay style feedback.
          One size fits all content managed house selling web site for smaller estage agents.
          Firewall and Intrusion detection software that is actually worth a frack.

If the work was split out, and each deliverable had a unit of effort that was a percentage of the whole project then revenues could be divied out accordingly.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hasn't HAB got a sore throat at the moment?

Probably off to suck on a Fishermans Friend as we speak.

Comment

I've had an epiphany (not the anal sort).

Why don't we (all the people who are on The Bench) organise ourselves, set up a very professional pimp site and offer our services, at 'real' market rates to the corporate world ?

I can think of many names for this new entity, but am open to suggestions (and that's not the anal sort either).

Signed Rabid 'Che Guavara' Dog

Sounds like it could quickly become a consultancy, and if theres one thing that gets more hate posts than agents.....

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                a)Most on this board think 'real' rates are higher than what existing agencies are currently paying... so why would clients choose you?
                b)How are you ever going to convince people you're not like other agents? Everytime an agent comes here and tries to explain they're not like the rest, they get shot down.

I think that Ches point is that by forming a cooperative organisation of some description clients are charged less and we're paid more because there's no agency mark-up to be paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  I think that Ches point is that by forming a cooperative organisation of some description clients are charged less and we're paid more because there's no agency mark-up to be paid.
                  Back and not sulking anymore - sorry.

Seems to me that there's an awful lot of skills just waiting to be put to some, call it co-operative, use.

There are straight techies of every flavour (h/ware and s/ware), TPMs, PMs, TDAs etc.

There will be people with all the business know how you could wish for, most of us run Ltd.s, there's geographical distribution, we'll have total sector coverage between us and niche specialities too.

And then you start to think of the networks and contacts.

You could call it a co-operative, hey, you could call it a self help group if you wanted, but it certainly wouldn't be a consultancy - more focused on doing it than talking about it.

As far as resource goes, it rolls, there will always be people on The Bench for whatever reason and whatever the prevailing market conditions.

The USP is already there.

Sure you'd have to dot i's and cross t's, sure they'd be details to sort and sure all that takes time - but that's something I'm not short of at the moment !

At worst, it gives you something to do after the daily job search grind, shopping, cleaning and drinking is over - don't know about you lot but there's only so much day time TV and scampering on the net I can stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Web site for car garages with pay per usage shop front and ebay style feedback.
                    When I was contracting at the AA many years ago....they were actually considering this as a project. SEarch for garage online, select "work" to be done, book online, provide feedback, etc.

There is already a company providing the whole back office - links to 100 odd garages....just need someone to develop the front end.

But the issue is marketing.....

Like most .dom ventures - the marketing budget will be higher then development....which is main reason AA rejected it.

Comment

Working...
                    X