• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

335 in hospital

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

335 in hospital

... with swine flu, and 14 already dead

Seems pretty serious to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8142833.stm

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Seems pretty serious to me.
    That is because you believe the Daily Mail and have no grasp of statistics.

Approx 12000 people die every year per million of population in the UK.

In the 2 months since H1N1 became prevalent, assuming an even distribution of deaths in the year approx 120,000 people have died in that same timeframe.
    Last edited by Moscow Mule; 10 July 2009, 00:04.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Current mortality rate is around the 1 in 1000 mark.

If just 20% of the population catch this highly infectious virus that's 12,000 dead on top of the usual mortality statistics.

Economically that would also be around 60 million working days lost.

That's if just 20% get it. 40% wouldn't be a surpise particularly.

... and I most definitely do not read the Daily Mail (who probably blame it on immigrants on benefits).
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post

If just 20% of the population catch this highly infectious virus that's 12,000 dead on top of the usual mortality statistics.

... and I most definitely do not read the Daily Mail (who probably blame it on immigrants on benefits).
        So after a bit of short term pain, we get to reap the benefits of not having to look after all the already ill people who are killed off by swine flu. Boomed!
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

It's a conspiracy, brought about by the pensions industry to solve the mortality problem!

Comment

Just to make my point clear, approx 720,000 people die every year in the UK.

Even if 24000 people die from swine flu, that is just a 3% increase. I don't think it's that serious.

Even if EVERYBODY in the UK gets it, just 60,000 will die - which is just an 8% increase in mortality.

The stats are looking good for survivability of the UK.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Just to make my point clear, approx 720,000 people die every year in the UK.

Even if 24000 people die from swine flu, that is just a 3% increase. I don't think it's that serious.

Even if EVERYBODY in the UK gets it, just 60,000 will die - which is just an 8% increase in mortality.

The stats are looking good for survivability of the UK.
              Not to worry then. Phew!

I mean it's not like you are any of your family are likely to be one of the 60,000 dead is it?

Comment

There are more than 335 people out there with swine flu but most are treating themselves at home. The government has no idea of figures.

I'm off this week with flu, could be swine, bird, cat or mouse flu - I have no idea what it is but I can't drive - I tried on Tuesday and found myself on the wrong side of the road twice before I left town so drove home before I got on the motorway - I may be mercenary but I am not suicidal.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Not to worry then. Phew!

I mean it's not like you are any of your family are likely to be one of the 60,000 dead is it?
                  Is it not the case that you are more likely to die from it, if you have an underlying illness anyway which would make you susceptible to anything?

Lots of people die from flu every year, it is tragic but they were likely really ill in the first place and flu simply finished them off.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Not to worry then. Phew!

I'm not disputing the personal tragedy which accompanies any death of a loved one, but the fact is that if one or my family members dies in the next year there's a (only) 8% chance it will be from H1N1.

Comment

Working...
                    X