• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone

Maybe you have heard about this but early next week all UK mobiles will be on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. We have all unsubscribed and you may want to suggest it to all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could be swamped by unsolicited messages and calls. Removal is recommended by the BBC – see link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/8091621.stm

Just done this myself. Double checked it wasn’t a scam and it is actually on the BBC website recommending to do this.

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.
    All numbers including those belonging to children will be open to cold calling and the general abuse that less scrupulous telesales people subject us too.

To remove your number go here. (you need your mobile phone with you to do this, they text you a code)

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/rem...remove-me.html

You can remove your number from this list, and tell all your friends - especially those with children who have mobile phones. I personally believe my mobile number is private and I should be able to chose who I give it to - none of us agreed to this when we signed our mobile phone contracts
    Last edited by Emigre; 10 July 2009, 09:33. Reason: Cr*p thread title
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Apologies. Our website is currently unavailable as we carry out essential maintenance. However it will be available again tomorrow and you will be able to use any security code you have received to complete your ex-directory request. Please do not call 118000 for ex directory requests as you will be asked to visit our website tomorrow. . Thanks for your patience

I'll forget tomorrow.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

At a pound a pop it's not really feasable for commercial cold calling; it IS however an excellent way for stalkers to get in touch!
      B00med!

Comment

So, should I post the "DO NOT UNSUBSCRIBE - IT'S A SCAM" message again, or not?
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Apologies. Our website is currently unavailable as we carry out essential maintenance. However it will be available again tomorrow and you will be able to use any security code you have received to complete your ex-directory request. Please do not call 118000 for ex directory requests as you will be asked to visit our website tomorrow. . Thanks for your patience

I'll forget tomorrow.

That would be everyone trying to get delisted
          Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            So, should I post the "DO NOT UNSUBSCRIBE - IT'S A SCAM" message again, or not?
            Any evidence of this? Link?

Are you saying a BBC journo hasn't done his research?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

What a load of tulipe.

Nobody gets your number and you will be asked if you wish to accept a call from somebody. By "unsubscribing", they will definitely have your number.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                What a load of tulipe.

Nobody gets your number and you will be asked if you wish to accept a call from somebody. By "unsubscribing", they will definitely have your number.
                I've done a bit of digging on other forums and people were alarmed to find their number listed, it's genuine and I've yet to see any proof to make me think otherwise.

Comment

It's £1 at the moment, but that will come down. Cold calling companies will just buy the original list or compile their own.

I'm going to change my mobile to an 0898 number and to hell with it!
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                  X