• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A World Without Men

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A World Without Men

The Guardian wrote an article entitled "A World Without Men" and here are some of the responses.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

With scientists claiming to be able to make sperm in a lab, Tanya Gold asked what a world without men would be like. Here are some of your responses:

The world would be worse off if the Amazonian women (with their right breasts hacked off for easier swordplay) were our armies, if Lady Macbeths were our leaders and sirens were our choirs. We need men to keep the balance or we'd kill each other more efficiently.
    Victoria Galloway

I don't think you'd get a world devoid of war as people still covet things, whether they're a man or a woman. Put that on a global scale, and conflict is inevitable. The tone of the discourse may well be different, and with less shouting, but I think it's naive to suggest removing men would mean removing ambition, as that once again creates this illusion of women as passive creatures.

Finally, I've been privileged to work with a lot of fantastic creative women over the years - artists, film-makers, writers and so forth. I've also worked with some decent guys. We as individuals bring our own personal abilities (and personal hangups) to a collective and it's up to us to create a fairer world. Once we get rid of the idea of "them", there's only "we".
    Rob Turner

I've always thought testosterone should be considered a dangerous drug best kept out of the veins of those incapable of handling the dangerous side effects.
    Zerosum

It would make no difference. You'd still have capitalism and thus bourgoise women exploiting the proletariat. I'm guessing the author of the article probably doesn't agree that it's class, not gender, that remains the key defining point of power relations but never mind. Plus, sex toys have less spontaneity then most men.
    cbarr

Bet the scientist who created the lab sperm was a guy ... Just Googled it. I was right. Yippee for us!
    kieran216

So who's going to lift all those heavy objects from high shelves when we're gone, eh?
    RedOnFire

Tanya, there's a set of rail improvement works taking place that involves construction of a new underground structure to support a piece of track that goes over soft ground, replacement of old tracks and installation of a new junction. This will increase the safe speed on a busy line used by freight trains and passenger trains. As there are now no men someone is needed to take charge of the project and you have been nominated. I promise it will be a really interesting job.
    PoorButNotAChav

While it's true that men are most directly responsible for warfare (which is horrible), women are most directly responsible for human overpopulation (which is even more horrible). "Octomom" is an entirely female phenomenon. Billions of women on this planet want nothing more than to make babies no matter how overcrowded and environmentally stressed the planet continues to become. And now this "journalist" is cheering new technologies straight out of Octomom's wildest fantasies. Testosterone can create madmen. Equally, oestrogen can create madwomen.
    Anthronesia

I like men. Couldn't eat a whole one though. Tried a few times ...
    sofistiKate

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    I like men. Couldn't eat a whole one though. Tried a few times ...
    sofistiKate
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Scince in Action on the World Service covered this this morning. The question "Are men needed?" was asked and the answer "Yes" given and explained.

I wanna go into journalism. I just need to be a brain donor first. How about that cabbie?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Who would mow the lawns?
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          Who would mow the lawns?
          Reminds me of a joke: if a vibrator could be created that mowed lawns, men would be obsolete.

Comment

Working...
          X