• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Advice Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Advice Please

Just wanted some advice, had a call from an agent today, described the perfect contract role, but wouldnt tell me the client!! asked me to send him my cv and attach 2 references from my current employer so he could verify my skills!, does this sound like he is just collecting CV's/Names or do agencies actually do this?
    Thanks
    gsb

phecking phishing pimps !!

Put some of your friends names and numbers down
    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Sounds like fishing. I've spoken to dozens of pimps recently (my contract is finishing shortly) and not one has asked for references. References = leads.
      Tell the agency in no uncertain terms that you will provide references when you get an interview. The pimp should have better things to do than gather references for candidates who may not be successful. Therefore, think scam.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Most likely fishing

Comment

I always think a picture speaks a thousand words and this one sums up the situation perfectly. You are Roy Scheider and there in the background is the agent asking you for references "just so that I can verify your skills".

Comment

That looks like Gordon Brown behind Roy Scheider.

Any agency asking for references up front, is confirmation that they have no contract for you.

Comment

Yep, fishing. I went to see an agency today (on the bench at the mo - can only play Football Manager 2006 for so many hours per day!), of course they want references ("which won't be contacted unless you get an interview") and to know previous rates and which other roles I'm considering. Naturally my nose was longer than a certain Italian puppet by the time I left

Btw, according to the agent I am the only contractor in the UK who wants to opt in Scrawled across the top of my CV - guess that's my leper bell for them.
              Last edited by WageSlave; 3 November 2005, 13:59.
              Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

WS, you want to have a crack at Hearts of Iron II, that game can devour your whole life before you know it.

Lucifer in "serious geek" mode.

Comment

If they can't name the client and require 2 references up front then the job doesn't exist.

Quote to the agent "it is not permissible under the Employment Agencies Act to withhold a clients name".

Fuxley ring me once a month trying this scam - normally followed by Aggressive.

Comment

Cheers, LB, that looks like the stuff of wet dreams I'll have to check it out.

I've still got a copy of Act of War: Direct Action which I haven't loaded. I'm afraid I'm a real FM geek; would happily waste my entire life pretending to be Jose Mourinho
                    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Working...
                    X