• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I was thinking while driving home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking while driving home

One reads about militant atheists requesting a non-religious send off when their time comes, but rationally they should request a Christian funeral (or muslim or jewish or whatever the case may be).

After all, being an atheist, and thus presumably not believing in an afterlife, their only concern should be contentment and solace of others. So, assuming many of those will be religious, or at least will think a religious funeral proper, our enlightened dispassionate atheist should logically request one.

P.S. and anyway, you never know, it might all be true
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    One reads about militant atheists requesting a non-religious send off when their time comes, but rationally they should request a Christian funeral (or muslim or jewish or whatever the case may be).

After all, being an atheist, and thus presumably not believing in an afterlife, their only concern should be contentment and solace of others. So, assuming many of those will be religious, or at least will think a religious funeral proper, our enlightened dispassionate atheist should logically request one.

P.S. and anyway, you never know, it might all be true
    good point.

I always thought that if I believed in God, I would be acheing to die, just so I could meet him. But all these relious types, Popes and mother Theresas etc, cling on like limpets.
    when was the last time you saw a pope who looked younger than 100

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      when was the last time you saw a pope who looked younger than 100

Like this one: Carly Pope?

Note: that one is sfw, a bit of google will find a few that are not
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My ideal send-off

My ideal send-off would be burial at sea on a scheduled route.

No fuel used at a cremation.

No land usage.

Feed the crabs.

The only environmental footprint is the fuel to get the carcase to the docks.

So what I'd like is for the likes of the Isle of Wight Ferry and the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company and the Channel ferry people, etc. to offer this as a service. Discretely deliver the body to the dockside in a suitable biodegradable (but leak-proof!) container and they take it on board then chuck it off again a few miles off the coast.

Or if you're posh, slipped quietly off the side of a cruise ship (which happens often enough anyway).
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Won't be an issue soon after the general election, where Gordon Brown gets 101% of the vote for him to be dictator for life, as the dead will be turned into soylent green.

Edit:

Having said that. This is how I would like my time to end.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My Dad always says he wants to be bunged on the compost heap.

That I don't understand since he has always been careful to make sure we don't put meat in the scraps for composting.

On querying this with him, he says he won't care as he won't be here.

That's not helpful, is it?

If there was a pig farm near him, I think I'd chuck him in the trough, but the stupid government knee-jerked and banned that after Foot 'n' Mouth.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              My ideal send-off would be burial at sea on a scheduled route.

No fuel used at a cremation.

No land usage.

Feed the crabs.

The only environmental footprint is the fuel to get the carcase to the docks.

So what I'd like is for the likes of the Isle of Wight Ferry and the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company and the Channel ferry people, etc. to offer this as a service. Discretely deliver the body to the dockside in a suitable biodegradable (but leak-proof!) container and they take it on board then chuck it off again a few miles off the coast.

Or if you're posh, slipped quietly off the side of a cruise ship (which happens often enough anyway).
              Spare a thought for us yaughty types who will have our sail round the Kyles runined by having to move round balooned corpses before the body sinks. I'm not sure taking the kids down the beach would be quite as nice if you got the occasional arm drifting in to sit beside the tampons, turds and used cock bags that frequent our beaches

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                the occasional arm drifting in to sit beside the tampons, turds and used cock bags that frequent our beaches
                But doesn't that somehow sum up humanity? The essence of our existence?

Comment

Plan B

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Spare a thought for us yachty types who will have our sail round the Kyles ruined by having to move round ballooned corpses before the body sinks.
                  I've got it!

Return to the ancient method used by some American Indians and folks of the Indian sub-continent. While they left bodies on mountains to be eaten by eagles, we could do much the same.

Trafalgar Square's 4th plinth!

Bung the bodies up there and let the pigeons strip the bones.

What a tourist attraction.

Waddya reckon?

Comment

I want to come back as a zombie, that rules out cremation. Failing that I want to be stuffed and put in a corner.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X