• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Occupations you don't see so much of, any more

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupations you don't see so much of, any more

Rag and bone men (although they're rumoured to be making a come-back)
    Chimney sweeps
    Bus conductors.
    Milkmen (I know they still exist somewhere; just it's been ages since I saw one delivering milk)
    Shop stewards in large Midlands car plants (often with the name "Red" as their first name)
    Time and Motion experts.
    Trolley dollies, bringing around the morning tea and barncake.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Rag and bone men (although they're rumoured to be making a come-back)
    Chimney sweeps
    Bus conductors.
    Milkmen (I know they still exist somewhere; just it's been ages since I saw one delivering milk)
    Shop stewards in large Midlands car plants (often with the name "Red" as their first name)
    Time and Motion experts.
    Professional contractors is another
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Reputable Recruitment agents

Comment

Cart tarts
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
          Reputable Recruitment agents
          There never was such a person
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Knocker Up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocker-up
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

We have a chimney sweep come once a year (£45 an hour and as many biscuits as he can manage) next door still get their milk delivered though most of the road stopped when the last milkman flipped and smashed a crate full of bottles in the road and ran off leaving the milk float blocking the road.

I haven't seen the Eastern European "We clean your wheelie bin yeah" men for a couple of years though.

Comment

Time and Motion experts.
                You don't work in manufacturing or logistics then. They all got rebranded "continous improvement".

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                  We have a chimney sweep come once a year (£45 an hour and as many biscuits as he can manage)
                  At £45 an hour, I'm seeing a viable 'Plan B', considering Jobswerve is advertising roles for £8 to £10 per hour, providing you can provide umpteen references and pass the MIT doctorate examination that passes as the small aptitude test ...
                  All I need is a handful of scruffy urchins to send down the chimneys ... I wonder if the local orphanages have catalogs?
                  The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

My mother has always claimed that my grandfather never had a steady job after he was made redundant from his post of lamplighter when the last of Liverpool's gas street lamps were replaced with electric

Comment

Working...
                    X