• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police must recruit Gypsies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police must recruit Gypsies

Some super 'frothing' in the comments section here.

Whatever will they think of next...........maybe rapists and murderers will be pardoned if they promise to join the police.
    roll on when the bnp get in,so common sense can prevail.
    the reality is that gypsies are no more a danger to the public than the throng of muslim extremists who are employed with the UK police. britain is on a seemingly endless one way road to hell.
    thats a laugh they will nick anything portable from the police station or anywhere!
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

It's a worry.

There are two sides to this: first, it's a good story that the police should be representative of the popualtion that they police and that they should police with consent. On the other hand, there's the question - how many members of the Romany community would want to be police officers, if the opportunity were afforded them?

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      It's a worry.

There are two sides to this: first, it's a good story that the police should be representative of the popualtion that they police and that they should police with consent. On the other hand, there's the question - how many members of the Romany community would want to be police officers, if the opportunity were afforded them?
      I imagine they would be shunned by their own communities, so it's a nonsensical idea really.

The 'travellers' (Gypsies, Didicoys, Tinkers, whatever you label them) see themselves as something outside of, and apart from, conventional society, and they uphold that identity fiercely.

Anyway, such an officer would have to be on an endless mobile secondment to whichever force he or she was camped nearest to.

Another bloody daft idea dreamed up by some well-paid quango members.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Surely they'd need to learn how to read and write first
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          I used to suffer from the same prejudices as you do, but after meeting some travelers (in the late 1980s when I worked for a newspaper), learned that they school their kids as best they can.

They were all fully literate. One family I briefly knew had a full set of Dickens and ensured that all the kids read Ransome's 'Swallows and Amazons'.

You are more likely to find illiterates on the sprawling council estates of England than you are within the traveling community.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            Since when have you needed that to join the police? Dont you just need to be power crazed?

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              I used to suffer from the same prejudices as you do, but after meeting some travelers (in the late 1980s when I worked for a newspaper), learned that they school their kids as best they can.

They were all fully literate. One family I briefly knew had a full set of Dickens and ensured that all the kids read Ransome's 'Swallows and Amazons'.

You are more likely to find illiterates on the sprawling council estates of England than you are within the traveling community.
              bollocks, I've seen Snatch, and I know what's what!

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post

Not to mention almost all travellers kids are blindingly good at maths. the more cynical among us may say that this is due to all the swindles they do with money, but to be fair if you fall for it you probably deserve it

Comment

Having seen various groups round here, including a couple of well behaved ones, I suspect that travellers are a fairly diverse group with their own class system. The ones who don't want a lot of trouble stay well clear of the ones who do.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Having seen various groups round here, including a couple of well behaved ones, I suspect that travellers are a fairly diverse group with their own class system. The ones who don't want a lot of trouble stay well clear of the ones who do.
                    Good grief, what happened to the stabbety stab Xoggoth we used to know?

Have you started wearing sandals and loving your neighbours?

Comment

Working...
                    X