• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thermodynamics - cooking question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermodynamics - cooking question

Like everyone else, I have my own style of cooking stuff. But I started to wonder recently if I was doing it right.

question. I want to cook a bit of steak thoroughly (no red bits - medium all through)

is it best to cook it slowly for 20 minutes
    is it best to flash it on high for 5 minutes

(please note, I am not talking about cooking it nice - just to get rid of the red bits)

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I find it is best to flash fry/barbeque both sides to seal it, and then cook slowly until it is cooked to taste.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

All food should be burnt to a crisp in my view. Apart from lettuce.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Like everyone else, I have my own style of cooking stuff. But I started to wonder recently if I was doing it right.

question. I want to cook a bit of steak thoroughly (no red bits - medium all through)

(please note, I am not talking about cooking it nice - just to get rid of the red bits)

Mrs BP (a trained chef) says "cook it on high heat for 5 minutes. then leave it to rest for 10 minutes".

Mrs BP knows what she is talking about. unlike me.......

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Lettuce is a food?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            That is discrimination!

What have lettuce done?

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR LETTUCE!
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I have no advice, since steak should still be red.

Two minutes each side, leave in a warm place for five.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Boil it for half an hour. Then it'll be cooked all through, and nice and chewy.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Eat it while it still goes moo.

It will taste bettr and you'll even save money on fuel.

Comment

It all depends on the thickness of the steak. You need to obtain a conduction rate for steak and plug this into an equation which takes into consideration the water content steaming, and also the rate of convection through the meat. All very technical, its what real men discuss when standing around a BBQ staring into the flames. WOmen woudln't understand

Comment

Working...
                    X