• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work til you drop...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work til you drop...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8148188.stm

My grandfather had that privilege.

Looks like I'll be in the same boat.

Ho hum.

Thanks Gordon, you robbing bastard.

Meanwhile the Civil Service thinks it's a "right" to retire at 55.

In the real world, the public sector must pay

The mild-mannered head of the Audit Commission has lit the blue touchpaper and not retired — making him extremely rare among officials who usually save inconvenient truths for their valedictory speeches.

The outraged reaction to Steve Bundred’s suggestion that a year’s pay freeze for public sector workers could help to save Britain from bankruptcy shows a fascinating disconnection from reality.

The unions have been abetted by sage commentators who have remarked, variously, that retiring on a full pension at 55 is a “right”, that average public sector pay is greater than average private sector pay because public sector workers are more “skilled”, and that Mr Bundred is a “fat cat” whose own quango should be abolished.

The outrage rather misses the point. There is no money. The private sector pays the public sector’s wages, and you can only stiff the private sector for so much. There is no sympathy among private sector workers, a third of whom have already swallowed pay freezes, for bureaucrats who have trussed them up for years with red tape.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8148188.stm

Explaining the change in the timing of the review, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "Evidence suggests that allowing older people to continue working, unfettered by negative views about ageing, could be a big factor in the success of Britain's businesses and our future economic growth."
      "Beside which", he might have added, "I've f***ed the pension pots of everyone in the private sector, so most of them can't retire."

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        "Beside which", he might have added, "I've f***ed the pension pots of everyone in the private sector, so most of them can't retire."

You got what you voted for.

Comment

Thanks to the family courts I am in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Thanks to the family courts I am in the same boat.
            Thanks to high property prices just to live in a half decent house in a half decent area (they are still high even after the falls IMO), massive increase in energy bills, council tax, the recession, rates going south and the ICT influx - I think we are all in the same boat.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              You got what you voted for.
              Twat.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
              X