• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contacting the client direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contacting the client direct

Background:

I had applied for a role in Feb/Mar and I was not shortlisted for the role. Agent confirmed that he had sent my CV to the client but they have chosen other candidates to interview.

Now:

There is contract role that has come up with the same client. Agent mentioned that it is the same client and for the same hiring manager. However, he refused to put me forward for the role saying if the client did not like your CV then will not like it now as well.

I have the contact details (email) of the hiring manager.

My question to the folks here is, now that I know the contact details and also know that the role exists, shall I approach the hiring manager direct? Many of you have been hiring managers, how would you take it if someone approaches you direct?
    Last edited by bullseye; 13 July 2009, 16:26.

what have you got to lose? and if you get the gig - bullseye!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by bullseye View Post
      he refused to put me forward for the role saying if the client did not like your CV then will not like it now as well.
      What an idiot.

I have the contact details (email) of the hiring manager.

My question to the folks here is, now that I know the contact details and also know that the role exists, shall I approach the hiring manager direct?
      Do it. The agent has refused to represent you so can do not a thing about it.

Many of you have been hiring managers, how would you take it if someone approaches you direct?
      It has depended upon corporate policy.

Suck it and see. If they won't let you go direct, ask them which agencies they accept CVs from and pick one of those to represent you (for no more than 8% margin because YOU found the role).
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        what have you got to lose? and if you get the gig - bullseye!
        WHS. The agent has refused to represent you so you're in the clear?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          WHS. The agent has refused to represent you so you're in the clear?
          Absolutely, especially if that refusal is in email form and not just hearsay from a phone conversation.

The only place where it falls on its arse is if you get the gig over one of his candidates, he finds out and then kicks up a stink with Clientco. Admittedly it's a smallish risk if the Agent has a brain (which is a gigantic ask for an Agent) since he risks his ongoing relationship with Mr Clientco.

Comment

I would definetly submit my cv. particularly given the state of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Absolutely, especially if that refusal is in email form and not just hearsay from a phone conversation.

The only place where it falls on its arse is if you get the gig over one of his candidates, he finds out and then kicks up a stink with Clientco. Admittedly it's a smallish risk if the Agent has a brain (which is a gigantic ask for an Agent) since he risks his ongoing relationship with Mr Clientco.
              That would be quite bizarre, if he thinks that his once having failed you in the past gives him a right specifically to exclude you from a contract.

Comment

Can the agent legitimately refuse to put you foward for a role ? Isn't that discrimination ?

I'm sure the agent will find other ways to not put you forward and avoid legal hassle, but even so.

I'd go direct with a letter stating that "due to my disappointment with Agency XYZ, and their unfathomable methods of contractor selection which I feel are not in their Client's best interests, I have no recourse but to approach you directly..blah blah blah".
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I went direct with a client after having been placed first time by the pimp, didn't take long to become pimp free after that.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Pimp took my CV for a role recently and never sent it through to the client ( I was asking for the max rate ) , by coincidence 2 weeks later a friend phoned me and asked me if I would like to go direct to them, I am still there.

The agent might not even have sent it through to them in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X