• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plenty Cheapness Legal Eagles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plenty Cheapness Legal Eagles

The trend for outsourcing in professional occupations outside IT grows - http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...dia/article.do

Indian law graduates are paid £300 to £550 a month, which can rise to £1,000 a month for lawyers with two years' experience. This compares to £2,500 to £4,000 a month for British law graduates and £6,000 a month or more for qualified lawyers.

YES

Not that it applies to me any more, but this is exactly what is needed.

A lot of MPs are lawyers and it is only once their own get shafted will they ever understand what is happening to the rest of the people and possibly do something about it.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Would it be wrong of me,

MORE than a thousand London lawyers could be made redundant by the end of the year because their jobs will be outsourced to India, it was claimed today.
      to say I don't care?

I mean, I'll appear to care, but in reality, I won't.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

About 1,000 lawyers are working on London-based contracts, including for the 2012 Olympics
        Aaaah, so these will be some of the jobs that the 2012 Olympics was going to create with the lottery money and state handouts then?
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I wonder if they are handling this case:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ion/article.do

I love this bit
          Miss Popa, of Hampstead, earned £41,000 a year as a forensic accountant. She claims that the discrimination prevented her becoming a PwC partner earning at least £500,000 a year plus bonuses.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Would it be wrong of me,

to say I don't care?

I mean, I'll appear to care, but in reality, I won't.
            Not only "no" but "hell, no".

That having been said, expect the Law Society to start having kittens about this. The Indian plenty cheapness legal beagles won't have done a contract in a UK firm meaning that they'll claim (wrongly) that the value to be had from them is reduced.

Who next for outsourcing? The accountancy profession, perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
              I wonder if they are handling this case:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ion/article.do

I love this bit

FFS - £41K at PwC? Might I suggest - without wishing to appear unkind - that she's obviously a bit sh!t at her job?

Comment

How long before the whole country is outsourced?

Comment

From the comments on the link from the 1st post :

I have just been made redundant from my job as a legal secretary from a Top 100 law firm. At the moment I am in a state of shock because of this at the moment. I have made contact with at least 12 agencies and have been told there are no jobs around. I have worked for 40 years and this is the first time I will sign on as unemployed and it scares me. As does the prospect of losing my house. Outsourcing work to India is not good. The language etc will probably create more work for those in the London originating office. It would probably be a lot easier to do it in London in the first place. The main reason for all this is obvious. £6,000 for a lawyer in Mumbai £70,000+ for a London lawyer. Need I say more?

- Jan. Need, Romford

As I said in another thread, there is always someone willing to do the job for a lot less than you, and in this case, it looks as if the UK Lawyers have priced themselves out of the marketplace.

By not negotiating a reduction in their fees, they are now on precisely £0 instead of perhaps 20-30K. Even 7K a year is better than £0.

It's harsh but this is the economic model that is evolving.

Still think globalisation is a good idea ?
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Keep up at the back!

Comment

Working...
                    X