• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anyone recommend a good forum for gas boiler and heating controls?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend a good forum for gas boiler and heating controls?

The gas boiler is donkeys years old, the hot water tank doesn't have a cylinder thermostat and controller is old and creaky - and the gas bill for the last year has been around 2 grand for a 4 bed detached bungalow (extended into attic upstairs).

So I want to plan for a new boiler and affordable controls. I've heard about intelligent heating controls but they seem very expensive, but I want to research what options are available, trouble is there are thousands of pages on google search - does anyone know a good forum where such topics are discussed?

TIA
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    The gas boiler is donkeys years old, the hot water tank doesn't have a cylinder thermostat and controller is old and creaky - and the gas bill for the last year has been around 2 grand for a 4 bed detached bungalow (extended into attic upstairs).

So I want to plan for a new boiler and affordable controls. I've heard about intelligent heating controls but they seem very expensive, but I want to research what options are available, trouble is there are thousands of pages on google search - does anyone know a good forum where such topics are discussed?

TIA
    Try this one.

If the members on there can't help, no one can!

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Try this one.

If the members on there can't help, no one can!

At least you referred me to the new one and not the old one!

Comment

I can't point you to a suitable forum, but when it comes to the fundamental design of a heating and hot water system it's actually quite simple.
        • Modern combi boilers are reasonably priced
        • They come in a pretty wide range of wattages and throughputs, researching a suitable size isn't tricky
        • Doing without a hot water tank saves a lot of water heating and hot water cooling off if unused, it also returns some space depending on where you site your boiler
        • If you site a good combi carefully and put in suitable bore pipes for water, heating and gas then not only is it appreciably cheaper on fuel but hot water comes through quickly
        • You can easily get an inexpensive (£100 region) wireless timer/thermostat and room radiator stats or a bit more cash will get you a multi zone controller
        The primary pain in the nads if you relocate your boiler is the flue, but if you've got a bungalow then going upwards is always an option.
        A good local gas fitter should be able to spec you a suitable capacity boiler if you can't be fussed with working it out and you'll need one to comission the boiler legally anyway.

There's a lot of mysticism around central heating systems, but it's really a load simpler than it appears as it's all logical and easy enough to plan out from 1st principles. The kit isn't wildly expensive either unless you buy from the big companies, a good local tradesman can certainly do an install far cheaper than the likes of British Gas. I bought a boiler for less than half of what I was quoted by BG and a few other companies.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

At least you referred me to the new one and not the old one!
          He, he - couldn't resist.

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          I can't point you to a suitable forum, but when it comes to the fundamental design of a heating and hot water system it's actually quite simple.
          • They come in a pretty wide range of wattages and throughputs, researching a suitable size isn't tricky
          • Doing without a hot water tank saves a lot of water heating and hot water cooling off if unused, it also returns some space depending on where you site your boiler
          • If you site a good combi carefully and put in suitable bore pipes for water, heating and gas then not only is it appreciably cheaper on fuel but hot water comes through quickly
          • You can easily get an inexpensive (£100 region) wireless timer/thermostat and room radiator stats or a bit more cash will get you a multi zone controller
          The primary pain in the nads if you relocate your boiler is the flue, but if you've got a bungalow then going upwards is always an option.
          A good local gas fitter should be able to spec you a suitable capacity boiler if you can't be fussed with working it out and you'll need one to comission the boiler legally anyway.

There's a lot of mysticism around central heating systems, but it's really a load simpler than it appears as it's all logical and easy enough to plan out from 1st principles. The kit isn't wildly expensive either unless you buy from the big companies, a good local tradesman can certainly do an install far cheaper than the likes of British Gas. I bought a boiler for less than half of what I was quoted by BG and a few other companies.
          I also have a combi and if I remember rightly, one of their dis-advantages is you can't run a power shower with one.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Thanks for the advise, but I was looking into more advanced matters.

I know how to get a decent boiler at a decent price - I did so at our previous house.

I need to research more about combi-boilers vs hot water tanks - it used to be the case that combi-boilers were only suitable for small households - we are 5 with a fair number of visitors - showers, baths and dirty dishes are the order of the day - we can manage with the size of tank we have now, but if we upgrade to power showers, well....

Multizoning would be very good for comfort, there are some rooms in the house that are very cold in winter, even though all the radiators are balanced etc. But new piping has to be put down for each zone?

Thermostats - I agree there is nothing difficult about these in fact I would probably get a digital one with time of day settings - the OH always seems to feel colder at certain times of the day. Also an outside thermostat to override in case the temperature drops below normal.

One thing I wanted to find out if it is possible, if using a hot water tank, for the hot water controller to recognise more than one 'on' setting, specifically, fully on for the morning and evening when demand for hot water is at its highest, and 'half on' for other times in the day when people are in the house and just need water for washing up or running the washing machine etc. At night time it woud be off completely. It seems unnecessary to have the boiler fire up to keep the tank full of hot water when half a tank would be sufficient and would also help if say, I have to get up 2 hours early to leave for a flight, at least there would be enough hot water for a shower and shave in case I forget to override the timings the night before.

I am sure it is possible to build something like this, it is logically like having 2 small tanks which I guess in a good controller could be managed independantly, though in this case there would have to be two thermostats on the cylinder I suppose. But if the controller costs £1000s for this then its not worth it.

Also I've noticed most heating engineers I have come across do not like to work with anything 'out of the ordinary', in fact I find the same traits in most tradespeople, many a time I have had to persuade them to try something new.

Comment

Multi zoning can be done with a few strategically placed motorised valves, the controllers for what you've mentioned would add up though. Another option is 2 smaller specced boilers, but that's getting pretty esoteric.

One of the main reasons you've got a scary bill is that you've got an ancient boiler, the other is that you feel hot water tanks are necessary. Admittedly a tank makes power showers more viable, but you can get very effective electric shower units to overcome that issue. Modern washing machines are cold fill too so it's not at all hard to reduce the hot water load considerably.

I'm am advocate of combi boilers (properly installed in a well designed plumbing system) for a couple of reasons.

1. It's a mile more convenient to be able to turn on a tap and get hot water irrespective of how much has been used.
              2. It's a damn sight cheaper to run in the long term and let's face it gas prices and taxes aren't going to fall appreciably if at all. I cut my gas bill by over 20% as a result of binning the hot water tank for a combi and I used a load less gas than you so your savings should exceed mine by a fair margin.

Comment

Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/index.jspa?ts=42469

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  He, he - couldn't resist.

I also have a combi and if I remember rightly, one of their dis-advantages is you can't run a power shower with one.
                  We have a combi boiler - you don't need a power shower because run the showers at mains pressure. All a power shower does is boost the pressure back towards mains. Our showers are better than any power showers I've used (and I have used a lot). We also have a wireless stat/controller that I bought from srewfix and fitted last year. We have two showers and a bath, plus wash basins and the kitchen sink etc, but it sounds like you need a big boiler, the thing our system's not good at is multiple simultaneous users of hot water. What many people also don't get is that, a bit like an electric shower, the slower the water passes through the boiler, the hotter it is. In practice ours is powerful enough to get plenty of heat into the water at a high flow rate (hence the great showers).

Comment

I've always found www.diynot.com/forums quite useful. has a useful number of professionals on there, which is nice.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X