• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hundreds of Woolworths stores still empty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this is no surprise is it - there is a recession on, in fact I would go as far as to say in most of the high streets I have been down in the last 6 months (just outside NW London) that there are more empty shops than ever!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

The one in Halifax is firmly empty, but so are a fair few others since the Council did away with the plentiful 1.5 hrs free on street parking, cut the spaces by at least 50% and introduced numerous expensive ticket machines.

Admittedly the measures were introduced by a Councilor who was rabidly anti car and never drove. The net result being they killed off a reasonably busy town centre and now people drive to the White Rose, Trafford Park or even Meadowhall and make a day of it.

Considering how Woolies went down the pan I'm not at all surprised few of their old sites are occupied, the recession is pretty damn bad.

Comment

The Woolies near me in Crouch End, might become a Waitrose. Got to be better than the one in Archway that became an Iceland.

Talking of councils killing local shops with parking laws, this is exactly what greedy Camden council did to Kentish Town high street and now they have the cheek to put up "save your high street" posters!

I guess Camden must be losing revenue as shops can't afford to pay rates without customers
      Last edited by SantaClaus; 13 July 2009, 22:51.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I went to Camden the other week, found a disabled bay, popped on my badge and managed to get a hour or two shopping before having to return to the car. We didn't have time to eat with our friends or check out all of the shops, but overall, it seemed ok.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Durham Woolies is currently being turned into a Tesco. It will be the town's first proper city-centre supermarket (other than M&S next door) for a few years. Nice to see, last thing we need is more chavvy pound-shops.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The one at Eltham became the 99p shop. Opposite the pound shop.......

Comment

Reminds me years ago Trowbridge decided to impose car parking charges. Fortunately, the multi associated with the shopping centre was privately owned, and the other big car park was under a restrictive covenant banning charges.

Trowbridge remains a hole though. But people prefered to do day-to-day shopping there than the massively expensive Bath.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Woolies in Neath & Swansea are still empty.

It amuses me that the automatic doors haven't been switched off in the Neath one, so they still try to open as you walk past...

Sounds like a recipe for a fire to me, but what do I know?
                I hope it has a 2A fuse and not a 3A one.

Comment

Working...
                X