• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Russians and the Cybermen are at it again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Russians and the Cybermen are at it again

I've just noticed that in the last several posts by Cyberman, Moscow Mule replies with a derogatory insult.

I cannot see any justification for such provocative behaviour and it undermines any credibility or moral high ground that Moscow Mule may have had.

I'm sorry to air this in public, but it needs to be said.

This forum always has been, and always will be, a random assortment of left wing, right wing, ultra left, ultra right, moderate and other assorted members of the People's Front of Judea and their various Splinters.

Sure, it gets heated from time to time, because everyone thinks they are right, and that's just human nature.

However, the trend of singling out certain people (who are just as guilty as posting contentious views as the rest of us) is getting worrying.

It's tantamount to cyber-harassment (cyber-bullying is the term for non-adults) and I do believe there was a recent UK law case where
    "it is possible for an Internet Service Provider (ISP) to be liable for the content of sites which it hosts, setting a precedent that any ISP should treat a notice of complaint seriously and investigate it immediately"
    Godfrey v Demon

Admittedly that was a case of defamation, but the Liability of ISP's goes much further.

A host has to be careful even in moderating a rude message, because under the E-Commerce Regulations of 2002 : Regulation 17 , that can be seen as "Editing Rights" which can make them liable.

IANAL, but from what I've read and tried to understand, the law of the Internet is at best grey in some areas, and black and white in others.

All this means is that we, as CUK Punters, should really try our best to make this forum a pleasant place to visit, and avoid actions that cause the webadmins and the mods headaches and stress.

After all, we are guests in THEIR house, and should behave as much.

And before anyone asks, who put you up to this post, no one.

The mods/admins adopt a policy of low-key intervention.

I just noticed that things have been getting out of hand of late (I suspect the rutting season) and thought, why wait for the mods to take action, when we can try to restrain ourselves ?

There are sometimes posts I don't agree with, but I've never felt the need to cyberstalk the OP and harass them with immature name calling.

We all have different views, and just because someone posts 1,10, or 100 posts that you disagree with, doesn't justify in treating that person as persona non grata and starting a hate campaign against them.

For that way lies censorship and the removal of freedom of speech, and once you do that, you hand the people you despise the victory of self-righteous martydom on the basis that your oppression of their views gives them succour.

Failing that, never feed a troll.

Goodnight.
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 14 July 2009, 00:28.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

SASGuru should be arrested... if cyber-bullying of your other personalities is illegal?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

One interesting point is that, under the interpretation of relevant legislation currently adhered to by English courts, a service provider is not responsible for defamatory comments (e.g "SomeUnspecifiedPoster is a twat") as long as they remove such comments as soon as is reasonably practicable upon receiving a complaint.

However, if they implement an automated system that is intended to detect and remove defamatory comments without human intervention, they then become liable for any defamatory comment from the moment it is posted, even if it is clear that it would be beyond the capability of any existing technology to have detected it (e.g. "SomeUnspecifiedPoster exhibits attributes similar to those characterising that part of the anatomy commonly utilised for non-surgical access by medical professionals seeking to perform an examination of the cervix").

I've often wondered where that leaves CUK in light of their naughty words filter

FWIW, the BBC's naughty words filter has an exclusion-from-checking-for-naughtiness for the town of Middlesbrough when misspelt (which it frequently is) as Middlesborough, because it then includes the word "lesbo"

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        All this means is that we, as CUK Punters, should really try our best to make this forum a pleasant place to visit, and avoid actions that cause the webadmins and the mods headaches and stress.
        general has always been full of obnoxious trolls. if you want any sense use a different forum.

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        I just noticed that things have been getting out of hand of late (I suspect the rutting season) and thought, why wait for the mods to take action, when we can try to restrain ourselves ?
        I have been amazed by how quiet things are recently. hopefully we will get a decent pagga again soon.

Comment

Sorry you feel that way BGG, it's just a bit of fun.

If you think that's bullying, then you don't get out much.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Normally, I would agree with you BGG - but as regards this fella..... Nope, he is nasty and vile and deserves what he gets. His posts about Indians etc being "unclean" are pretty offensive, not to mention small minded. Some of his others have been awful too - the South African one springs to mind.

Of course, he is ALWAYS right and everyone else is too stupid/thick or whatever so I'm probably wasting my time even typing this - he would never be sensible enough to take a step back and think, actually, I am coming across as a bit of a cock.
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Sorry you feel that way BGG, it's just a bit of fun.
              It is? I'm disappointed.

If you think that's bullying,
              It isn't? But surely that was the point?

then you don't get out much.
              I think I'd better go out and find out what bullying really is.

Meanwhile:

Results 1 - 10 of about 728 English pages for This would never have happened under the Tories cyberman so he does get about a bit.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that cyber**** is a troll. It was a light-hearted way to respond to his most provocative statements. If anybody feels that strongly about me calling a troll a twat (repeatedly) they can click "report this post". The mods will then apply a ban/warning as they see fit. The tools are there if you feel that strongly.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that cyber**** is a troll. It was a light-hearted way to respond to his most provocative statements. If anybody feels that strongly about me calling a troll a twat (repeatedly) they can click "report this post". The mods will then apply a ban/warning as they see fit. The tools are there if you feel that strongly.
                    I think he's more of a complete fckin tosser than a twat.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X