• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another "tax" on it's way for England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "tax" on it's way for England

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8148116.stm

Older people in England could be asked to take out insurance to pay for long-term care in their old age.

In Scotland the provision of free personal care has proved popular, but very expensive and it is thought unlikely that ministers in England will adopt a similar policy.

So you pay your taxes and NI and now you must take out an insurance for your care? Except for the low paid and unemployed who'll get theirs free.

Pay, pay and pay again.

Article on BBC news this morning : a lady asked to contribute 25% of her pension to her mother's care home fees!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8148116.stm

Older people in England could be asked to take out insurance to pay for long-term care in their old age.

In Scotland the provision of free personal care has proved popular, but very expensive and it is thought unlikely that ministers in England will adopt a similar policy.

So you pay your taxes and NI and now you must take out an insurance for your care? Except for the low paid and unemployed who'll get theirs free.

Pay, pay and pay again.
      As you imply, surely if you need long term care you just liquidate all your assets, give the kids an early inheritance and get means-tested. Why would you need insurance apart from middle class guilt/shame at the above approach? You won't need much money if you're chair/bed bound anyway.

Comment

NI pays for everyone's care now, it is not a savings scheme for your own health.

It is a con trick to make you believe that you are saving for your own care needs.

Comment

Well as long as it is fair!!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

NI doesn't even pay for everyone's care now. NI is a tax. The money collected goes into the same general pot as VAT, PAYE, fuel tax, insurance tax, stamp duty, and all the other taxes in the UK economy.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
              NI pays for everyone's care now, it is not a savings scheme for your own health.

It is a con trick to make you believe that you are saving for your own care needs.
              I know this. But now the middle classes in England only, have to pay yet another tax to fund their own personal care, meaning everything you pay pays for everyone else except yourself!

And they wonder why people can't be bothered to work....

Comment

May I thank everyone (so far) for not coming up with the chestnut that English taxpayers are paying for Scottish benefits?

Now, the solution for those of us who live in England is the same as works in Scotland: elect a government that will choose to spend its money on that. Unfortunately that government would probably be a Labour one, and there doesn't seem to be such a party in England any more. While the idea of social spending is still alive in Scotland, the formerly Labour party in England has become New Labour, more intent on sucking up to money men and middle England in order to stay in power. Having done that, they spend their (our) money on maintaining Britain as a power on the world stage so that they can strut upon it (only an hour or two, as Macbeth reminds us, and then be heard no more).

In Scotland there are people who believe that long-term care, prescriptions, and higher education are worthwhile functions of government, and there are (therefore) governments that exercise these functions on behalf of the people.

How ironic that Scotland's emigré politicos organised the NL machine in England that prefers to tax more than ever but spend the money raised on anything but good causes.

Comment

Its pretty much like that in Germany already. I have to look after my son until he leaves home or is 25 (something like that) yet he is responsible for me when I retire at 65 or so. I know someone here who ended up having to remortgage their house to look after their aged
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I don't think it has worked out that well in practice. Local authorities are being really stretched to do this but are given no more funding, they seem to try and dodge it much of the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X