• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self sufficiency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self sufficiency?

Hoping to pick peoples' brains here....we have a (hopefully) cunning 5 year plan to kill off most of our utilities bills, and wondered if anyone has experience of doing any of the same.

water - Could be onto a winner here...we've found out that you don't need a license anymore to dig a bore hole for your own supply of water provided you don't take more than 20,000 litres per day (!!!). Apparently the analysis that is done includes calculating at what level the purest water is, and the pressure it comes up at - and the installation is done accordingly. We are not on mains sewerage, so if we could get our own water supply - no more water rates/chemicals/hose pipe bans? Anyone done or thinking of doing something similar?

Heating - we've been advised to go for geothermal heating and put underfloor heating in where we can. The guy claimed the water temp would be up to 55 deg, which would be ample for heating needs. I'm not so sure...if there's anyone out there with underfloor heating, does that make sense to you?

Power - we have too many trees around our pad so wind power is out, so I am guessing we have to go down the solar cells route. They all seem to be in 2mx2m panels, and we have enough space for 8 of them on a roof that is facing NW one side and SE on the other. Would be great if that provides enough electricity for our needs, but I'm guessing we may have to wait for the next generation of solar cells to become available (in 2-3 years time apparently). Anyone any experience of this stuff?

The plan is no water rates, no electricity bills and no heating bills within 5 years. If we could even knock off just two of those it would be great.

...so if there's anyone planning/doing anything similar I'd be grateful for any advice.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

I don't think solar power can replace your mains power, merely supplement it.

Any reason for all this?

Have you costed it all up? It's going to be eye-wateringly expensive to install these major things. Payback time will be like 10 years plus and that's assuming oil prices don't slide down to near zero (below $60 a barrel at the moment)..

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      Hoping to pick peoples' brains here....we have a (hopefully) cunning 5 year plan to kill off most of our utilities bills, and wondered if anyone has experience of doing any of the same.

water - Could be onto a winner here...we've found out that you don't need a license anymore to dig a bore hole for your own supply of water provided you don't take more than 20,000 litres per day (!!!). Apparently the analysis that is done includes calculating at what level the purest water is, and the pressure it comes up at - and the installation is done accordingly. We are not on mains sewerage, so if we could get our own water supply - no more water rates/chemicals/hose pipe bans? Anyone done or thinking of doing something similar?

Heating - we've been advised to go for geothermal heating and put underfloor heating in where we can. The guy claimed the water temp would be up to 55 deg, which would be ample for heating needs. I'm not so sure...if there's anyone out there with underfloor heating, does that make sense to you?

Power - we have too many trees around our pad so wind power is out, so I am guessing we have to go down the solar cells route. They all seem to be in 2mx2m panels, and we have enough space for 8 of them on a roof that is facing NW one side and SE on the other. Would be great if that provides enough electricity for our needs, but I'm guessing we may have to wait for the next generation of solar cells to become available (in 2-3 years time apparently). Anyone any experience of this stuff?

The plan is no water rates, no electricity bills and no heating bills within 5 years. If we could even knock off just two of those it would be great.

...so if there's anyone planning/doing anything similar I'd be grateful for any advice.
      Looked into it once. Technology is too expensive. It works out about 20-30 K to become self sufficient. How much are your total bills per year?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Any reason for all this?

Have you costed it all up? It's going to be eye-wateringly expensive to install these major things. Payback time will be like 10 years plus and that's assuming oil prices don't slide down to near zero (below $60 a barrel at the moment)..
        Payback isn't an issue, nor up to a point is the expence - long story but it is to do with a will. I know most people only do one of the three if any - the water thing is the easiest and the quickest I think, but personally what I find most appealing is the power thing if it can be done. Mainly because we are out in the sticks and every time there is the slightest puff of wind we have a power cut for a few hours.

I have a feeling you are right about the solar power situation....but I do know that will change with the next generation of solar cells + batteries.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I think it is only worth it if you live in a rural area and you get shafted on fuel oil deliveries.

Comment

Re: Heating - underfloor is the way to go. You need a much lower water temperature to maintain the same room temperature than radiators

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I think it is only worth it if you live in a rural area and you get shafted on fuel oil deliveries.
              you are so right...and "shafted" doesn't begin to describe it!

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

Anyone any experience of this stuff?

I know people in Ireland who have put in geothermal heating, ended up with very large electricity bills from the pumps required to pump the water under pressure for the systems. Under floor heating can't be turned on and off quickly, takes about a day to cool off or heat up. Most systems heat whole house, can't turn off spare room, dining room etc. Not cost effective on existing house, maybe new builds, but I think the dury is still out, new improvments may swing it.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

If you have an eco-home (newly built using special construction materials, not bricks and mortar) then your energy requirements will be very low.

Tradional houses (even well insulated) don't come close.

It might make more sense to sell up and then do a Grand Designs and have an eco-home built.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Any reason for all this?

More like 25 years I should have thought. Or to put it another way, more work than just earning enough to pay the bills. But to be sure there is more to it than that.

Comment

Working...
                    X