• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies and their PSL of Umbrella Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies and their PSL of Umbrella Companies

H**ys have told me that they only use three umbrella companies, so if I wanted to contract for H**ys I would have to switch my umbrella company.

Can they do that?

I reckon they can.

Comment

Yes this is becoming increasingly popular now.

Agents tell you that its because they have evaluated the schemes run by the selected UC's but in reality, I believe the main reason is that the agents and UC's have done a deal to make it financially worthwhile and decrease the numbe of UC's that they have to deal with/get chased for payments etc.

Could be to your advantage (on time payments, problems dealt with quickly etc), but you would need to evaluate your individual circumstances to be sure.

PZZ

Comment

If they really won't back down then sign up with their preferred brolly, put a few invoices through then move. Once they've got clientCo paying up the agent won't rock the boat over a brolly.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
          If they really won't back down then sign up with their preferred brolly, put a few invoices through then move. Once they've got clientCo paying up the agent won't rock the boat over a brolly.
          Many agents wont reissue a contract midterm these days.

PZZ

Comment

When you say contract for hays, do you mean work for them, or via them?
            I contracted a few months for them last year (i.e. working for hays themselves), and yes, they said I had to choose one of 4 brollys. OR you can use your own limited company (something the agent didn’t tell me straightaway).

It does work out well in terms of processing payments. I used to submit timesheet online on Friday afternoon, and funds were in my account the following Thursday….

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              Many agents wont reissue a contract midterm these days.

PZZ
              Don't know if that is the case with those working though brollys (could see them objecting if brolly was a PSL as they are probaly getting a cut) but if you are Ltd never had a single objection from an agency in changing the company and getting contract reissued (just did it again in Apr and know a few others who did it with their agencys as well)

As to the original question, yes they can do it, no body can force one company to do business with another, so basically agency is telling you who they do business with

Just another of the 101 reasons not to bother with brollys and just go Ltd if you are going to be temping…woops "contracting" more than a few months
              Last edited by Not So Wise; 14 July 2009, 12:49.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
                H**ys have told me that they only use three umbrella companies, so if I wanted to contract for H**ys I would have to switch my umbrella company.

Can they do that?
                When did they tell you this? I did have this problem with Hays last year. In fact, it resulted in an offer of a contract from one of their clients not going through because of it.

However, I spoke to Hays again just recently and they now have a much much bigger list of umbrella companies with which they will deal - including the one I use.

- CDM

Comment

Working...
                X