• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxman to target landlords

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxman to target landlords

Well, got to squeeze them till they squeak!

Just had to laugh on reading 'HM Revenue and Customers'. You just cannot get good journalism nowadays.

Comment

And all corresponding costs will, of course, just be passed on to tenants.

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        And all corresponding costs will, of course, just be passed on to tenants.

What, you mean the cost of the landlord having to pay his taxes So a landlord done for evading taxes will recoup his losses by putting the rent up

There is such a thing called a market you know - that is what regulates prices, just the same as many contractors are finding out in rate cuts etc.

Will probably mean more LL selling up, depressing house prices, which is good news for most people.

Comment

It's a means of targeting Landlords who evade tax.

Landlords who fully declare their rental income would not be affected.

Bad headline. Bad journalism.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            What, you mean the cost of the landlord having to pay his taxes
            And all the record keeping and filing the agencies have to do.

All this money laundering and ID bollocks has added £200 to £350 to the cost of moving in to a rented property. The landlord doesn't get that, the agencies are paying £7 for a credit check (yes, just £7) and a phone call for a reference and pocketing the difference.

This will probably add another £50 or £100.

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              And all the record keeping and filing the agencies have to do.

All this money laundering and ID bollocks has added £200 to £350 to the cost of moving in to a rented property. The landlord doesn't get that, the agencies are paying £7 for a credit check (yes, just £7) and a phone call for a reference and pocketing the difference.

This will probably add another £50 or £100.

Then agents are profiteering, but in the end, if the cost is too much, tenants and landlords will choose a cheaper option (like going direct) like I've done in the past.

If agents get too expensive, loose 'em. I repeat again, it's the market, stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                It's a means of targeting Landlords who evade tax.

Landlords who fully declare their rental income would not be affected.

Bad headline. Bad journalism.
                I don't often agree wit the BM - but he's right.

The article was a waste of electronic paper it was written on.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X