• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV License People

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV License People

They want me to have a TV License for a couple of Silicon Graphics monitors.

I've put them outside so someone can nick them. Otherwise they're off to the dump tomorrow.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

What's a TV license ?

Comment

I've just been clearing out one of the homes I don't use anymore, ready to rent it out.

And a someone claiming to be a TV license body is at the front door going on about how I need a TV license for a couple of old Silicon Graphics monitors stood in the hallway.

If I weren't already so bemused about how fscked up the UK has become I might have bothered arguing intelligently with them. As it was I just called my mate MadDog (who's helping out) to look nasty at them, and them soon buggered off.

The monitors are on the drive now, just inside the gate. MadDog tells me I'm not allowed to just put them on the kerb. I'll get a fine. Jebus wept.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        I've just been clearing out one of the homes I don't use anymore, ready to rent it out.

And a someone claiming to be a TV license body is at the front door going on about how I need a TV license for a couple of old Silicon Graphics monitors stood in the hallway.

If I weren't already so bemused about how fscked up the UK has become I might have bothered arguing intelligently with them. As it was I just called my mate MadDog (who's helping out) to look nasty at them, and them soon buggered off.

The monitors are on the drive now, just inside the gate. MadDog tells me I'm not allowed to just put them on the kerb. I'll get a fine. Jebus wept.
        Somebody might hurt themselves on them.

Comment

it's LICENCE

Comment

From the comments to BBC chiefs accuse minister Ben Bradshaw of 'personal attacks, re the BBC licence:

the fact they constantly hound you for it and don't give you the option of saying "no i don't own a TV" is blatant extortion.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

They don't have a right of entry. Tell them to fsk off to the magistrates and get a warrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                What's a TV license ?
                It's another of those laws you think don't apply to you.

Comment

Quote it to them:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20040692.htm

Meaning of "television set"
                  11. - (1) In Part 1 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967, "television set" means any apparatus which (either alone or in association with other apparatus) is capable of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service but is not computer apparatus.

(2) In this regulation, "computer apparatus" means apparatus which -

(a) is designed or adapted to be used (either alone or in association with other apparatus) for storing or processing data, but not for doing so in connection with the reception by means of wireless telegraphy of television programme services; and

(b) is not offered for sale or letting as apparatus for use (either alone or in association with other apparatus) primarily for or in connection with the reception (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) of such services;

and "processing" includes displaying.
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

I have just bought a replacement satnav and it has built in freeview (which actually works well!!) and I don't have a licence

Comment

Working...
                    X