• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Told client to "go away". A slip of the tongue - honest. Will I get fired?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Told client to "go away". A slip of the tongue - honest. Will I get fired?

I was being my usual enthusiastic self this afternoon, but the generation of the words got ahead of my ability to say them.

Client comes over and says they want to ask me something, so I think I will say to them:

"yep - go for it"
    "fire away"

just the "go" and "away" came out of my mouth.

True story - D'OH!

You're doomed...

WWJD?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      "go" and "away" came out of my mouth.
      I have ben worrying about this all night.

Will I get fired?
      No.

It toughens up the client.

It will make them realise your importance and ill raise your prestige.

You should increase your abuse every day - only ever so slightly so they don't notice - to continue the process.

By the end of the week you should be able to call the boss a 'utter tosser' without comment and by the end of the month I doubt you will need to even turn up at all without it raising any comment from the management.

HTH
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

It's when you start hitting people you know you've reached the next level...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I was being my usual enthusiastic self this afternoon, but the generation of the words got ahead of my ability to say them.

Client comes over and says they want to ask me something, so I think I will say to them:

"yep - go for it"
          "fire away"

just the "go" and "away" came out of my mouth.

True story - D'OH!
          Just thank them for giving the space you needed to complete a difficult task, or some such consulting bull. First time is the most difficult, you will get used to it.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I tried this , this morning.
            I meant to say to my project manager
            'This is a bugger of a problem. I will fire off a techie question, to see if anyone else in the country has a solution'

it came out as

'bugger off, count'

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

A former colleague, when his boss came over, used to say "what do you want now" every time. The boss never seemed to care.

Comment

I've been using the line "I'm busy surfing, now **** off" for years. Still here.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You can say anything you like to a manager if you preface it with the words "No offence, but..."

e.g "No offence, but you have a face like a monkey's scrotum."
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    You can say anything you like to a manager if you preface it with the words "No offence, but..."

e.g "No offence, but you have a face like a monkey's scrotum."
                    No offence.... but you are talking Bollox!!

Comment

Working...
                    X