• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the big comeback..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the big comeback..

hey,

i have just taken a bit of a break from the capitalist, contracting, blood sucking I.T game and now on my return to good old blighty have just started to stick my head in and see whats happening these days....

i have researched my market pretty well, and can see that the perm jobs seem to be more in abundance....as tempting as this seems, im trying to stick to my guns and still hold out for the contracting...

anyone else out there had experience of taking a break and trying to get back into it? any advice/previous stories/or general dos and donts?

from my point of view, i have been back in the country 4 days and have had a call from an agent who is waiting feedback on my CV for a 9month contract apart from that nudder.

should i be sweating yet?
    am i officially on the shelf/bench?

plus, i have a great little story to tell, about a potential job offer, that i need someone to help me decipher...if anyone is interested...

cheers

el duder
    aka
    el duderino

Originally posted by el duder
    hey,

i have just taken a bit of a break from the capitalist, contracting, blood sucking I.T game and now on my return to good old blighty have just started to stick my head in and see whats happening these days....

i have researched my market pretty well, and can see that the perm jobs seem to be more in abundance....as tempting as this seems, im trying to stick to my guns and still hold out for the contracting...

anyone else out there had experience of taking a break and trying to get back into it? any advice/previous stories/or general dos and donts?

from my point of view, i have been back in the country 4 days and have had a call from an agent who is waiting feedback on my CV for a 9month contract apart from that nudder.

should i be sweating yet?
    am i officially on the shelf/bench?

plus, i have a great little story to tell, about a potential job offer, that i need someone to help me decipher...if anyone is interested...

cheers

el duder
    aka
    el duderino

I find a good tip to cover gaps in my CV is simply to explain to the agent that Ive been inside her Majestys Hotels during that period.

Otherwise tell them that youve been on an expedition for six months in Cocania, Southern Peru, attempting to cross the Andes by Frog.

In and out of Wandsworth
    With their numbers on their names

Its funny how the Missus
    Always looks the bleeding same
    And by the time Im sober Ive
    Forgotten wot ive said

Its not like that on the telly
    When its Cool to be a Cat

Cool For Cats ...

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 4 November 2005, 09:44.

Comment

El Duder,

I came back to the UK for contracting after spending 11 months off. I came back in 2003 when the market was a bit average, or so I was told anyway.

I have to admit I was paranoid about agents and clients asking about my break, I know they wouldn't like it (jealousy probably), so I lied, pure and simple. Told them I had spent the year on a kind of nondescript, run-of-the-mill contract with general kind of dev skills. Of course I would have been stuffed if they had asked for references there and checked them, but I was banking (rightly) on the fact that references are very rarely checked in the UK, unless for fishing of course.

Just jobserve every day, apply like mad, tailor your CV to each and every one of the ads you go for, and you'll get there. Took me 3 weeks to find a contract, OK I had to go to Nottingham but it wasn't that bad.
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

good advice

hey good advice..

ummm, i think the lying thing is a good thing.

im gonna tell them ive been contracting out in Oz for 12 months on random projects..

Comment

Hey Duder, you feckwit!
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

<deleted>
            Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:06.
            Bwana

Comment

gomez

cracking album..

bring it on make it right...

Comment

Working...
              X