• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobserve seems hellishly slow these days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that a sign that loads more people than before are searching for work?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Is that a sign that loads more people than before are searching for work?
    I think so, I spoke with an agent who had 100s of replies for a role, asked me to drop my rate by half to match the other applicants. I would get the role, I ask why "you are the best applicant" nice to hear, but my reply, "that's why I charge more"

May not get the role
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      I think so, I spoke with an agent who had 100s of replies for a role, asked me to drop my rate by half to match the other applicants. I would get the role, I ask why "you are the best applicant" nice to hear, but my reply, "that's why I charge more"

May not get the role
      which leads to the perennial dilemma - if you drop your rate, how much of the difference will the agent snaffle?

(Mind you, that will be an incentive for them to put you forward. So I guess it works either way.)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

which leads to the perennial dilemma - if you drop your rate, how much of the difference will the agent snaffle?

(Mind you, that will be an incentive for them to put you forward. So I guess it works either way.)
        I may get extended where I am, so holding fast on moment.

Last few weeks I was not feeling very positive, but now
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Thank you. I've been getting timeout errors and the like, like when TPD is approaching a millennium.

I have rebooted, cleared the caches, defragged and generally faffed about trying to fix it.

So it's not me; it really is everyone else this time.

Again, thank you. I can stop mucking about with my browser settings now.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Yes Jobserver is extremely slow today - I gave up on it.

I do hope its a technical issue and not really the load of people looking - my contract may end in a couple of weeks (awaiting renew/terminate decision at the moment)

However, at this time of the year, its always been slow.

Anyone remembers how long the last recession lasted? I think it was around 18 months... but suppose it depends on when you believe the actual recession has started, anyone can think of a recession start sign?? To me it was the Lehman collapse and HBOS merger.

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
              Anyone remembers how long the last recession lasted?
              Remember it? I was still trying to recover from it.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

IT recessions

Yes Jobserver is extremely slow today - I gave up on it.

I do hope its a technical issue and not really the load of people looking - my contract may end in a couple of weeks (awaiting renew/terminate decision at the moment)

However, at this time of the year, its always been slow.

Anyone remembers how long the last recession lasted? I think it was around 18 months... but suppose it depends on when you believe the actual recession has started, anyone can think of a recession start sign?? To me it was the Lehman collapse and HBOS merger.
                Last IT recession started at turn of millenium and hit a trough in June 2003 i.e. 2.5 years from peak to trough. This time, the stock market started to plunge from August 2007 with IT jobs treading water until January 2008 and then taking a plunge. It looks like (according to jobstats.co.uk) it hit the trough about a month ago, so this appears to have lasted 1.5 years from peak to trough. The last recession came off the back of the dotcom collapse and the millenium bug work completing so it would make sense that the last one should be worse. Here's hoping.

Comment

The website is currently unavailable whilst we carry out essential maintenance.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
                  That's better!

Comment

Anyone remembers how long the last recession lasted?
                    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Remember it? I was still trying to recover from it.
                    Yeah. I was recovering from it OK when I got divorced. Then I was recovering from that when this recession came.

My real doubt is, am I going to recover from this one? Or is there, underneath the recession, a change for the worse that will never get better? I suspect that there is.

Comment

Working...
                    X