• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 7 pre-order

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 pre-order

£90 from Amazon for the Pro version (£130 off), and I think £50 for home. And these seem to be the full licence rather than an upgrade, and you get both 32-bit and 64-bit in the box.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    £90 from Amazon for the Pro version (£130 off), and I think £50 for home. And these seem to be the full licence rather than an upgrade, and you get both 32-bit and 64-bit in the box.
    Hmmmmm, what about the FSX license aggro when I move to Windows 7?

Comment

Obvious question coming, does anyone know what it will cost to upgrade from vista pro to the pro version of 7? (32 bit)

They should be handing it out for free if they had any shame.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Obvious question coming, does anyone know what it will cost to upgrade from vista pro to the pro version of 7? (32 bit)

They should be handing it out for free if they had any shame.
        It seems to say on Amazon that there is no upgrade available to Windows 7 E from Vista. Odd?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I have a Vista Ultimate laptop, and last time I looked the pricing was £150 just for the upgrade (sod that). So £90 for a full version is something of a bargain.

They're not doing any actual upgrade installs because of the EU Internet Explorer nonsense (hence the E versions). So even if you get an upgrade licence you still have to do a full install to make sure you don't get any sneaky left over ability to use the internet in your modern OS.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I have a Vista Ultimate laptop, and last time I looked the pricing was £150 just for the upgrade (sod that). So £90 for a full version is something of a bargain.

They're not doing any actual upgrade installs because of the EU Internet Explorer nonsense (hence the E versions). So even if you get an upgrade licence you still have to do a full install to make sure you don't get any sneaky left over ability to use the internet in your modern OS.
            What a load of poo! Haven't the EU commissioners got better things to do like sorting out the hassle of contractors working between EU states for example?
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I think I might just wait and hear how good it is before I buy, it will go through the books anway.

The main issue I have with Vista is that it takes about 2 minutes to boot, which is shocking on a fairly high spec laptop, actual performance when it gets there is pretty much OKish.

Comment

The main issue I have with Vista is that it takes about 2 minutes to boot, which is shocking on a fairly high spec laptop, actual performance when it gets there is pretty much OKish.
                I'm running the RC on my laptop and performance is better than Vista.. With a SSD, it boots in 24 seconds (including the 5 seconds for the POST). Reboots in 35 seconds.
                The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Yea, I'm running the RC also.

Boots fast, shutsdown LOTS faster than vista...

Been running it a month and don't think its crashed or nothing yet.

I'll be buying a copy once my RC runs out....or if the full version is that better/faster than the RC

Comment

I've got it running in Virtual Box, and it does seem faster than Vista also running in Virtual Box. Not that a VM is a good test.

And my Vista laptop boots up fine. I don't really have any issues with Vista TBH, other than Visual Studio seemingly being a bit more flakey than it is with XP.

Comment

Working...
                    X