• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40% agent cut!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40% agent cut!!

Remember this thread?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...al-client.html

Well I met my client and they showed me, without me asking, the rate the agency put me forward at, I nearly fell off my chair!

The client just wanted to know how much of their budget was going on agency fees.

The client is very keen to use me and suggested a direct contract.

What would you do?

The agent found me the gig and they cannot see anything else than a go between, their going to shot themselves in the foot.

I'm still amazed at the cut. Who do they think they are?

I don't want to burn the agent, it was all hard sell on the phone to me as well - £%£$%$ - truth will out... as they say.

Money in an envelope under their door perhaps? What the standard CUK operating procedure in this type of situation?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

go direct. then give the agent a six pack.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Remember this thread?

Well I met my client and they showed me, without me asking, the rate the agency put me forward at, I nearly fell off my chair!

The client just wanted to know how much of their budget was going on agency fees.

What would you do?

The agent found me the gig and they cannot see anything else than a go between, their going to shot themselves in the foot.

I don't want to burn the agent, it was all hard sell on the phone to me as well - £%£$%$ - truth will out... as they say.

Money in an envelope under their door perhaps? What the standard CUK operating procedure in this type of situation?

If the client is suggesting going direct then go with it and let them deal with the agency.

Otherwise let the client negotiate the cut with the agent but stick to your guns on your rate. If the agency tries to tell you the client are offering a lower rate now then tell them you know they are lying and will go direct if they don't start being straight with you.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

This is interesting as I just found out that my agent is taking 40% after asking me to drop my rate a little.

I must admit I usually ask what percentage the agent is taking and whether or not I am told (I didn't this time), once in a contract I make a point of checking their invoices so that if they are ripping me off, I will know in the future.

This agency I have dealt with before and it has been fair. This particular person I am dealing with obviously does his own thing.

There is nothing I can do about this now as I have negotiated a rate and I will stick with it, but I will not be renewing. I feel more sorry for the organisation I am working for and will arrange a direct relationship at the end of the contract and cut this guy out altogether. He's also lost the organisation as a client too.

Why can't people just be straight with one another?

I would be less miffed if they hadn't asked me to drop my rate.

As for you predicament - have you written anything or agreed that they can represent you in this role? If not, then go direct. If you have, then it's between you and your conscience, but my view is negotiate with the agent to get them down. Better that then be blacklisted by them somewhere.

Comment

Remember this thread?

What would you do?

Whilst under normal circumstances I consider myself to be a fairly chilled out, liberal type of person with a 40% cut ... **** it, burn the agent.

Comment

I've had a simmilar situation in the past, I just went direct and let the client sort it out.

I believe they paid them a 'finders fee', which the agency were happy with.
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              Whilst under normal circumstances I consider myself to be a fairly chilled out, liberal type of person with a 40% cut ... **** it, burn the agent.
              Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              I've had a simmilar situation in the past, I just went direct and let the client sort it out.

What they said.

Since it's client led, let them make the moves and just go along with it. The client can even go as far as to terminate the current contract with immediate effect and then hire you on the QT, there are many options since it's the client that's cheesed off with the agent at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post

Problem is my conscience is bothering me for thinking alone such lines...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Problem is my conscience is bothering me for thinking alone such lines...
                  Understandable, but it's the client that's raised the issue not you, so you have no moral dilemma over increasing your rate while the client saves money on continuing to use your services.

Win-win, it's the clients call in this case.

Look at it this way if the agent had been taking 10-20% so the cost to the client was appreciably lower then the client wouldn't have an issue and the agent would have made more over the long term. The agent has been greedy and is about to suffer for his poor commercial decision.

Comment

I don't see an moral issue either (not on your part).

The client has told you they don't want to work with thay agency on this contract, so you have 3 choices:

1. Tell the client you will only work through that agency - Risk loosing the contract if the client is really pissed at them.
                    2. Tell the agency that the client is pissed at them - Risk loosing the contract cause the agent gets pissed off.
                    3. Tell the client it is their call but you would be happy to work direct if they tell the agency what is going on. - Risk that the agent will get stroppy and try and put a spanner in the works.

No matter what you do there is a risk, but personally I think option 3 is the least risk as even if the agency does through a paddy are they gonna risk loosing the client alltogether over one contract? Besides, if the client does say that they do not want to work with the agency then you are free and clear as they could never place you there anymore anyway so handcuff clauses no longer apply.

All IMO of course
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X