• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear! Blair for EU president!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear! Blair for EU president!

Ex-prime minister Tony Blair is the UK candidate for president of the European Council, Europe Minister Baroness Kinnock has apparently confirmed.

At a briefing for journalists in Strasbourg, Lady Kinnock said the UK was supporting Mr Blair for one of the most powerful posts in the EU.

Asked if this had been discussed with Mr Blair, she said the government "would not do that without asking him".

The post depends on Irish backing of the Lisbon Treaty in a referendum.

But this is the first time a UK government minister has publicly announced Tony Blair is a candidate for the job.

Previously, ministers have said that as there was at present no job, any talk of supporting a specific candidate was premature.

Lady Kinnock went on to say Mr Blair had the "strength of character" and "status" to take on the job.

She added: "People know who he is, and he could step into this new role with a lot of respect and he would be generally welcomed."

Later, an official emphasised that the Irish Republic has yet to hold its referendum on the Treaty.

But the official added that if and when the treaty came into force and Mr Blair decides run as a candidate, Mr Blair would have government support.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8152099.stm

Cats are evil.

Will we never be free from him?
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      The post depends on Irish backing of the Lisbon Treaty in a referendum.
      So the Irish can rescue all of Europe from the scourge of Blairdom?

Trouble is, I think he's quite popular in Ireland for his work on the peace process.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This will bring the EU into ridicule and disrepute. The man that lied to launch a war and was probably largely responsible for the murder of Dr David Kelly, shredded his dodgy expenses, but forgot the one where he claimed 6,000 pounds to repair his roof within days of leaving office.

Surely there cannot be a worse candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Will we never be free from him?
          If the Irish reject the Lisbon Treaty then we won't get Blair. Or anyone.

Someone just needs to tell the paddies they are going to be ruled by a British megalomaniac once more.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Oh, goody. Now the mad git can declare a Holy War on the Middle East and drag the whole of Europe into it.

We're doomed.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              If the Irish reject the Lisbon Treaty then we won't get Blair. Or anyone.

Someone just needs to tell the paddies they are going to be ruled by a British lying megalomaniac warlord once more.
              Fixed that for you.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It was nice to be asked, wasn't it?

So we have a hereditary Prime Minister.

And the arse-licking Bliar goon foisted on us by said hereditary Prime Minister.

Now I know why we weren't allowed our referendum.

This is a dictatorship in the making.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Mission Accomplished !

All Hail the Neo-Con WarLord Blair

The Lights will go out all over Europe.

The Darkness is Coming
                  If you have done no wrong then you have nothing to fear ...perhaps.

Comment

Deep Breaths all round.

It won't happen. Why? 1 - he has the support of the Labour party. Last time I looked they were 12-1 in a 2 horse race for the next election. 2 - The French & Germans will not support him. Unless they really want to piss each other off........................................
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X