• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you a big hitter?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you a big hitter?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8151355.stm

Another way of measuring it is "median" gross annual earnings.

According to ASHE, this was the more modest figure of £20,801, across all employee jobs. If you are earning that sum a year, you are "Mr or Mrs [or Ms] Mid-Point" - precisely half the surveyed working population earns less than you and half more.

For just full-time employees, the median rises to £25,123.

It's safe to assume that for many people, mere entry into the top half of the earnings pyramid does not mean you are earning a "big" salary.

How about the top 25%? A gross annual salary of £31,759 - measured across all jobs - gets you into that club.

How about if you make the top 10%? The ASHE figures reveal that a salary of £44,881 is enough to just edge into that top bracket.

A gross annual salary of £58,917 gets you into the top 5%.

But the standard that has cropped up in newsprint over the years is "the top 1%". It takes £118,027 to get into this bracket. And if you are earning £150,000 - the amount that triggers 50% income tax - you are in the top 0.6% of salaried people, according to the ASHE.

So does that mean that if you earn £45k that you are in the country's top 10% of earners? Sadly it's not as simple as that. The ASHE is a sample of 1% of people who pay tax via PAYE. It doesn't include the self-employed - businessmen, contractors etc - who make up the ranks of the really wealthy.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It doesn't include the self-employed - businessmen, contractors etc - who make up the ranks of the really wealthy.
    Well, it's not me, I earn less than £10k a year...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I once hit a six with a square cut (only once mind).

Does that qualify?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Poll?

Comment

God Forbid

That I'd have to earn money. That's for chavs. I make my money from the tenants on my estates and land appreciation. IT is one's hobby.

Comment

But also, I'd guess:
            It doesn't include the un-employed - pensioners, jobseekers, tramps - who make up the ranks of the really poor.

Comment

You've missed a few characters out: 'bulls'.

I earn nothing whatsoever. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                But also, I'd guess:
                It doesn't include the un-employed - pensioners, jobseekers, tramps - who make up the ranks of the really poor.

Yeah... Sir Fred is really poor !!

Comment

Working...
                X