• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Space travel too pricy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space travel too pricy?

A total of 62% of Americans and 83% of Europeans rated their own governments' expenditure on human spaceflight as "about right", demonstrating a broad level of support.

But it was a different story when they were asked about priorities.

Around 80% of those questioned said they would welcome a shift in spending from manned to unmanned missions

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090715...y-4b158bc.html

In my opinion, nothing beats having real men tramping about in boots on the ground. These silly unmanned drone type missions are often nothing but cheapo distractions - See what the UK space effort managed with this cut price piece of shlt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...s-inquiry.html

If you could buy a Space Craft, with shields, life support and hyperspace capability I would be on there with the missus faster than you could say "I'm selling my grandma to go on a Richard Branson Vigin space trip.".

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      If you could buy a Space Craft, with shields, life support and hyperspace capability I would be on there with the missus faster than you could say "I'm selling my grandma to go on a Richard Branson Vigin space trip.".
      I think Branson is going to market some shatty 2 hour sub-orbital flight, after which your bank account will experience losing 100k permanently.

If I was paying 100k I'd expect a few days 5* in an orbiting space hotel with a day trip to the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        And there's no day trip to the moon either.
        It's not a 5* hotel either. Just a bunk in that collection of tin cans called the International Space Station. 20$m is slightly overpriced, but suppose it makes it fairly exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          It's not a 5* hotel either. Just a bunk in that collection of tin cans called the International Space Station. 20$m is slightly overpriced, but suppose it makes it fairly exclusive.
          I'm guessing it's a bit like butlins but without the Chavs.

Comment

Working...
          X