• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flymaybe... and their sneaky ways

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flymaybe... and their sneaky ways

I'm a regular business user and the reward points have been quickly building up.

So when on Tuesday night I had a last minute call to fly to a client in the south west (I'm in Edinburgh) I decided to use my points. For this is the whole reason I keep them to spend on last minute calls to a client.

I was very disappointed. When I tried to book a flight using my points the website said they were no available seats on the plane and the flight was full. Yet I could still pay for a seat though at return price of £420! I could go to Thailand for that.

When I got on the plane on Wednesday morning there were 34 passengers, the plane was less than half full.

I refused to pay the return part of the flight instead favouring a return on the train for half the price, a first in while.

Can someone explain to me why there is no mention of the reward points restrictions on the website where it says 1 x flight for 16 points?

Honestly according to Flybe they only allocate a few seats for the points scheme, once they are gone you have to purchase even if they were only a few people on the plane.

You've been warned!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Most travel loyalty schemes have restrictions on availability unfortunately.

I just use mine to decrease the cost of holidays rather than trying to reduce costs of working. It's too frustrating otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      I just use mine to decrease the cost of holidays rather than trying to reduce costs of working. It's too frustrating otherwise.
      Mrs Scooter suggested the same. It's a recompense of sorts, I'll take it for now - otherwise they'll have me super flying tnt
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why are you trying to save the client's money with your reward points?

The client is paying for this, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post

1. Maybe his rate includes the expense of getting to their site and wants to maximise his income as much as possible.
          2. Maybe he wants repeat business from the client
          3. Maybe he has morales.
          4. A combination of the above.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post

No. When selling my services I try and not turn up with an invoice on the 1st day of meeting a new client.

But I'll add future ventures, if sucessful, to my quatations - that you can be sure of!

Comment

BA do the same with BA miles, they'll only open up a certain percentage of seats to redemptions, so for example club to the states it's only 10% of seats. Nearer the date, they may open up more seats if they haven't been purchased.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                No. When selling my services I try and not turn up with an invoice on the 1st day of meeting a new client.

But I'll add future ventures, if sucessful, to my quatations - that you can be sure of!
                What you can do is agree with the client is that they pay your expenses if you do not get the gig. If they take you on, you deduct the cost from your first week, so it's free .

It once saved me a cool 500 and wasted time when after I put the question and the asshole client started umming and aarring and eventually burbled out that they just want some pointers to what they needed doing and that there was no actual budget to pay for this. Agent was none too happy either after I told him.

Comment

Bit of an odd concept this, but I add the expenses for future job-seeking onto the bill for my current client. I'm always a step ahead and if I get the run-around , it's water off a ducks back.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Bit of an odd concept this, but I add the expenses for future job-seeking onto the bill for my current client. I'm always a step ahead and if I get the run-around , it's water off a ducks back.

I like it...

A few more hours on to this weeks time sheet should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                    X